Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg

Anyone see thus before? Lasted about a day then went back to normal after a few restarts. Was pretty cold for about a week prior -10f or so but was +25f ish the day it happened.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
The LCD has a weak connection. As the as the connection loosens, the LCD circuits are not closed completely and the whole panel loses ability to mask the LED back lights behind it and they show through. This is different than when they overheat, which causes the LCD panel to go opaque and mask out the LED back lights, hence causing the "faded MFA display" that everyone eventually experiences.

Unfortunately, replacement half-height MFA LCD panels are hard to come by, and are actually more expensive than the full height FIS panels that are more widely available, but not OE in North American market B5/5.5 Passats except the W8.

Since it seems to be a loose connection, you may be able to produce a desirable fix by having the ribbon re-soldered to the cluster motherboard. I recently did this with a regular hobbyists soldering iron, it is work much better suited to a rework station.

My cluster suffered with the same symptom you described:

However it turns out my ribbon disconnect was because the ribbon itself had been mangled:

So I scavenged a replacement half-height LCD from a fairly newish B5.5 cluster I picked at a local salvage yard and carefully soldered it into place.

With the newer display securely soldered onto motherboard, the display returned to normal appearance (it still fades when it gets hot though.)

I plan to replace the cluster with an FIS W8 one I have been trying to reboot of late and am getting close to restoring, so the intermittent fading doesn't bother me that much.

:wrench:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent info. thanks much Keith. Guess I better keep my eyes open for a replacement, more likely than not it will get worse.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unfortunately, replacement half-height MFA LCD panels are hard to come by, and are actually more expensive than the full height FIS panels that are more widely available, but not OE in North American market B5/5.5 Passats except the W8.
where have you been able to find the half height panels? i have looked and looked and cant source them anymore.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
where have you been able to find the half height panels? i have looked and looked and cant source them anymore.
Every once in a while they come available on eBay, but they are usually north of $100. Full-height FIS displays are less than $50 these days. I just elected to salvage one from a junked cluster, and saved my ducats to purchase a new FIS display when I get my W8 cluster sorted again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the <$50 displays are the aftermarket ones (no matter what the picture looks like). they are less tinted than oem so the display will appear brighter. they are also harder to work with as the ribbon on them is stiffer than the oem screens. just fyi. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very intriguing read. After my old Dell 2209WA got imperfect, I attempted to locate another screen I could utilize. Incredibly, I have discovered that the advanced LED screens are amazingly terrible to take a gander at, and I began to search for the wellspring of the issue. It appears that all the glimmers PWM and transient vacillating acquaint with a PC screen is extremely hurtful for the neural framework - in any event if there should arise an occurrence of delicate individuals, and long haul.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Let the above post be a warning that no one should be allowed to join a forum and make a post while on the same acid trip.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,016 Posts
Likely a spammer that just happened to get through the filters. I kind of want to see what they post next :)

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,016 Posts
I know. Just curious on how long it will take to actually post a real advertisement. It's all over their profile info. let me have my fun :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts