Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of the pro's out there would be willing to build me a custom box/enclosure for my Jeep. What I had in mind is pretty simple, with a few quirks. But should look pretty bad ass.

Of coarse, I'd pay you for your time & materials.

I'd go to my local guy that I usually go with, but I have a feeling what he's asking me is a "bit" inflated.

If anyone is interested or be willing to help me (at least hear what the estimate I was given was & see if it was worth that kind of loot), I'd be incredibly grateful.

TIA.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Joe - Let me know what you want to do and what the estimate they gave you was and I can let you know if it's reasonable. I'd love to help you out, but shipping on somthing that heavy will negate any savings. Maybe one of the local members can help you out.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, I'm with Paul on that but if you post what you want maybe we could give you some ammunition you could go back to your guy and knock a few $ off his price.

You can PM if you don't want to post the price he's asking, I for one would be more than happy to give you a price EX shipping to bargain with.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well as far as the shiping is concerned, it would only be for the enclosure. I got the amps & sub already. In essence, it would just be for the enclosure... maybe the sub if I send it out as well.

I actually may end up going to a local shop... but I know this guy (my regular guy) is really good. I just think ever since his magazine coverage, he's been charging peeps a lot more... even regular customers like me :(. I guess its the price of fame. I'm pretty sure another local shop can build this thing, but I KNOW you guys & have seen your work & expertise.

Let me give you the rin down of what I'm looking for & you tell me how much labor & materials would cost...
The single 12" sub is currently in a ported Q-logic brand box, with both amps mounted on top.

I want to move the sub to a custom built box that:
- is two parts: one part for the sub, the other to be a "storage" compartment
- in the compartment portion of the box, the amps would be mounted on the floor with a "shelf" to cover them so I can put stuff on top.
- The front of the box would be a beauty board with a simple design cut-out & maybe some neon.
- The top would have a covered hinge so I can close the box.

I know this isnt very descriptive. I sketched it out for the installer. I didn't think it would be too complicated. But when I heard his estimate I was shocked. His reply... "This thing is going to take 3 days to build. Its custom & will look great."
I know its gonna look great & I do beleive in "you get what you pay for"... but I think his estimate was a bit high considering the only new electronics that will be bought is maybe the neon.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
What's his estimate? What shop is it? If he was ever big in IASCA I'll know him and I'll probably have seen enough of his work to know if his rate is good. You can PM me if you don't want it out in the open. From your description 3 days may not be too bad either.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.