Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to connect 2 stranded speaker wires. The squeeze type wire taps I have don't seem to work that well. They work much better on solid wire.

Would soldering give me a better connection? What do I need to solder the 2 together? My dad has soldering stuff he using for making stained glass, is it the same thing?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know it is a stupid question, but someone must have a quick answer...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
No, its not the same thing...I bought a $3.00 soldering iron and like $1.50 solder for this very thing...

Soldering and shrinkwrap/electrical tape would bethe best, but.

If you don't want to solder, you can buy "butt-splice" connectors that crimp on with a crimp tool or you could use wire nuts. They're not the best thing to use, but they do the trick. You can get these at any hardware store.

·
Registered
364 Posts
In my opinion I think your better off soldering and shrinkwrapping/electrical tape the wires. i do it on every install and personnaly i think its better. you can get a soldering kit @ radioshack for under $10 comes with everything you need.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
The down side to soldering is you heat up the wire and the connection loses it's flexibilty. A good butt conector (i.e. 3M) properly crimped will outlast the car. If you really want to solder DO NOT EVER USE ELCTRICAL TAPE TO COVER THE CONNECTION. Electrical tape, even the Temflex from 3M will loosen and fall off in the summer heat generated in your car. I can't tell you the number of times people would come into my shop telling me there was something wrong with their HU and it was simple that the tape had fallen off. When soldering wires ONLY USE SHRINK WRAP to cover the connection or you're asking for problems later. And NEVER use wire nuts in a car for the same reasons you shouldn't use tape. They're designed for home wiring that never moves and doesn't see the types of temperature variation we see in a car. A good butt connector, crimped with the proper tool, not the cheap crap they give you in those all-in-one kits, like a Klein (I got mine at Sears for $20) will have a tooth in the tool to really get in there and grap ahold of the wire and it ain't comin' out.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I have never had electrical tape fall off of any connection in my car, and I live where it gets to be 140F-150F inside of a car during the summer...Perhaps the tape wasn't applied properly, or wasn't wrapped tightly enough?

-Mark

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Maybe, but why chance it. How long does it take to do the shrink wrapping? Less time than it does to use tape AND it's a lot easier to do in small spaces, lke under dashboard.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
186 Posts
In ten years I've never seen good electrical tape come off. It certainly makes a mess when it gets hot though. quality_sound it right though shrink wrap is the proper way to go. Its more durable, and just looks more proffesional.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing