Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a '99 1.8T 5sp. (with 100,950 miles!)

Soft Sports are already in the Mail...

Yeah, I know all about Koni (had them before on another car) and Bilstien......

But I do 70 miles a day on the 405 Freeway. I don't want to feel every expansion joint. My thought is a sorta 1BE kind of ride. (never been in one though) Firmer then stock, a bit lower, I prefer a slight nose down atitude to the car, and less pogoing when I gas it. (so much more noticable since chipping a few days ago..like I knew it would!)

I will be running my stock 15 Alloys (w 215/60's) for a bit more, then moving to some lightweight 17" wheels (<15 lbs). Forget 18"s and 19"s..this is a daily driver....to work, boys to Soccer, etc..

I'm looking for good mileage, comfortable ride, and still fun on the yearly blast to Laguna Seca and all the cool roads around Carmel!

I'm thinking maybe KYB or Boge or ? I have access to some used Bilstiens with 30K for a good price....does that make a difference to them?

All thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
I prefer the hwy ride of my Konis to that of the Bilstiens I had. They absorb potholes and expansions joints better.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoken like a true Orc! LOL!

Not many peeps will say they don't like them! Give me info on your freeway ride! And I have no idea of the Freeway condition in Va.

Here in places they are like washboard! :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
The soft sports and Bilstien HD will lower your car 3/4". I am also running 215/60's and that allows to easy clear the average speed bump & road kill. The car rides like stock except that there is much less body roll in curves and has much less bounce.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Having ridden and installed both shocks with numerous different springs, I much prefer the Koni ride over the Bilsteins on rougher roads. They suck up bumps and joints much better than Bilsteins.
Bilsteins definitely remind you daily that you're lowered which is annoying on the city streets. Same feeling translates on the highway, thus I much prefer Koni's.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys running your Koni's on the softest setting?

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
1/2 turn front and full soft rear. I take many cross country trips,so I need a good highway ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
so, from what I'm reading here, Konis generally give better ride than bilstein sports? Am I right? Can anyone tell me how they compare in terms of handling?

also, how are the bilstein HDs compared to Konis? I'm also looking for a set of shocks to go with softsports... looking for about 1" drop...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had the konis with H&R sports and it was too much on the highway. I also do 70 miles a day on the highway and just couldn't take it. Yesterday I installed eibach pro kit springs and it raised the car about 1/2" all around. Much better. I also have 18" wheels though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.