Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Pretty clean for it's age

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dang, you are always finding these! No manual though so I'm out on this one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be willing to sacrifice the manual if it had a tan interior. I've been looking at MB as they sold many cars with tan and their MBTex (vinyl) holds up really well.
This one is perfect (for a sedan), but I expect the price to well out of my range.

Another problem, I don't want to keep 2 cars in the garage anymore. So there's not much use to looking at nice cars for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would, but I already made a cross country trek to get one, but it wasn't a wagon. Black interior, I'd be down. Too bad. 😪

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I've been looking at MB as they sold many cars with tan and their MBTex (vinyl) holds up really well.
We bought this '86 560SL less than two years ago (sorry if I've already mentioned this). Tan interior, red exterior which I found is preferred by lots of people who know these series of roadsters. My wife found it at an estate sale of all places. IMG_2891.JPG

·
Registered
134 Posts
We bought this '86 560SL less than two years ago (sorry if I've already mentioned this). Tan interior, red exterior which I found is preferred by lots of people who know these series of roadsters. My wife found it at an estate sale of all places. View attachment 101543
Nice! Consider installing Euro bumpers to match your Euro headlights.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
We bought this '86 560SL less than two years ago (sorry if I've already mentioned this). Tan interior, red exterior which I found is preferred by lots of people who know these series of roadsters. My wife found it at an estate sale of all places. View attachment 101543
That's a nice looking car.
My dad just sold his 1979 SL450 earlier this year.
We complain about our VW's, those Mercedes aren't for the faint of heart.
Even harder to work on and you'll need to borrow money from your rich uncle to cover part costs.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Nice! Consider installing Euro bumpers to match your Euro headlights.
Well, then you are familiar with the R107 series! Euro bumpers would definitely improve the appearance. There's a company out of Vietnam which makes polished stainless steel replicas, that are said to be well-made. It was really fortunate that this car already had the Euro headlights. These things are still available new, at outrageous prices ($2,800 per set from one source to $4,600 at the dealer).

·
Registered
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
We complain about our VW's, those Mercedes aren't for the faint of heart.
Even harder to work on and you'll need to borrow money from your rich uncle to cover part costs.
I haven't driven it much at all, mostly because the emergency brakes don't work. It has the 'brake shoes inside the rear rotors' type of parking brakes, but those aren't the problem. One parking brake cable isn't actuating the shoes at the right-rear, and because of the equalizing lever arrangement, neither does the other side. I've got both new cables waiting for me to see how hard this job is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, then you are familiar with the R107 series! Euro bumpers would definitely improve the appearance. There's a company out of Vietnam which makes polished stainless steel replicas, that are said to be well-made. It was really fortunate that this car already had the Euro headlights. These things are still available new, at outrageous prices ($2,800 per set from one source to $4,600 at the dealer).
Yes, I am familiar.
Not too long ago my local U pick yard had a 1973 r107 with the smaller bumpers. Too bad it's crushed now. Occasionally these cars come up.

I haven't driven it much at all, mostly because the emergency brakes don't work. It has the 'brake shoes inside the rear rotors' type of parking brakes, but those aren't the problem. One parking brake cable isn't actuating the shoes at the right-rear, and because of the equalizing lever arrangement, neither does the other side. I've got both new cables waiting for me to see how hard this job is.
With the cable replacement, your going to have remove the parking brake pads.
They are a pain to R&R without the correct spring tools.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
With the cable replacement, your going to have remove the parking brake pads. They are a pain to R&R without the correct spring tools.
I had bought a new parking brake shoes and removed the disk, expecting to find worn out or incorrectly-adjusted shoes. The existing pads looked next to brand new, and getting under the car to watch the cables proved which one wasn't doing it's job. I've read about the springs, which have to be compressed and turned simultaneously with poor access.

·
Registered
27,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sold to KarstGeo72 for $8350. Good deal overall. I was tempted many times, but someone I am very close too would have killed me if another Passat wagon showed up in the driveway.
I am still watching the low mileage 01 E320 sedan. Just 18hrs left and I really would like it but I expect the price to at least double at the deadline.

Reactions: otho03

·
Registered
27,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts