Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Told ya told ya! :lol:
I'm not sure exactly what it does... but it seems to be normal for it to make those noises. I think it has something to do with fuel vapor.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey...i was just glad it wasn't a belt or tensioner :)

but what is it, and how much would it cost for the part? and if i add a new one, would it stop the clicking noise?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes, that's the purge valve for the evaporative emissions canister. The EVAP canister itself is back by the fuel tank. The EVAP canister collects fuel vapor from the tank to keep it from spilling into the atmosphere. Then the purge valve is used to suck the vapor out of the EVAP canister; the vapor goes into the intake system and is burned by the engine.

The valve gets cycled at various times, but I don't know exactly when. If you aren't getting any EVAP system trouble codes, then you shouldn't worry about it.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OakHillVariant said:
Yes, that's the purge valve for the evaporative emissions canister. The EVAP canister itself is back by the fuel tank. The EVAP canister collects fuel vapor from the tank to keep it from spilling into the atmosphere. Then the purge valve is used to suck the vapor out of the EVAP canister; the vapor goes into the intake system and is burned by the engine.

The valve gets cycled at various times, but I don't know exactly when. If you aren't getting any EVAP system trouble codes, then you shouldn't worry about it.
ok, i'll use the vag-com to check for any fault codes 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing