Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i'm looking to remove some minor scratches/scuffs in the paint. i can't feel the scratches with my finger, so it should be in the clear coat. i'm looking for something that i can pick up locally (pep boys, autozone, kragen, napa), and something that can be done by hand.

what would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Well, i'm looking to remove some minor scratches/scuffs in the paint. i can't feel the scratches with my finger, so it should be in the clear coat. i'm looking for something that i can pick up locally (pep boys, autozone, kragen, napa), and something that can be done by hand.

what would you guys recommend?
mequiars scratch-x in black tube or nu-finish polish in orange bottle works 4me

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! it worked pretty well on my bbs wheels:

before:

after:

i could've gotten it better, if i spent more time, but i didn't really bother as the guy who's buying them is getting them pc'd anyways.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
ya i used scratch x on this mark on my door my dad tried getting of forever. Its been on for years. tried waxing washing scrubbing. A little drop of scratch x and its gone forever. That stuff is golden. Make sure to re-wax the area once you put it on.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
ya i used scratch x on this mark on my door my dad tried getting of forever. Its been on for years. tried waxing washing scrubbing. A little drop of scratch x and its gone forever. That stuff is golden. Make sure to re-wax the area once you put it on.

that's becaus scratch-x was the first polish you tried. everything else you tried wasn't designed to take care of the problem.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that's becaus scratch-x was the first polish you tried. everything else you tried wasn't designed to take care of the problem.
paul-i did see your deep crystal polish, but meguiars was selling it as part of a 4 or 5 piece set. wasn't sure if i needed the whole set or just this one, so i just got the scratch-x instead.

what's the difference between the scratch-x and the deep crystal polish anyways?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no need to re-wax...the wheels are already sold.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
paul-i did see your deep crystal polish, but meguiars was selling it as part of a 4 or 5 piece set. wasn't sure if i needed the whole set or just this one, so i just got the scratch-x instead.

what's the difference between the scratch-x and the deep crystal polish anyways?
scratch-x is "probably" a bit more aggressive initially...due to the diminishing abrasives in it. good product IMO, I've solved a lot of little defects with it.

3M perfect-it is a nice product as well, there are two grades and also two formulas of the less-aggressive grade (for light or dark cars)

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
mequiars scratch-x in black tube or nu-finish polish in orange bottle works 4me
DO NOT USE NU FINISH!

This product is primarily a petroleum based cleaner it will tear the clear coat up.

This stuff works great on cars you dont drive (like the ones in their commercials in junk yards).

Just use a can of gasoline instead......same results.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm wondering why you bothered to polish a wheel that was getting PCd anyway.
because i wanted to show the buyer that they're in good condition. he just looked at the faces, and saw that they where in good shape and that's it. now, if the faces have scratches, granted only in the clear, but still the buyer might decide to nitpick and look at every single little nick.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts

the scratch-x is more agressive. i can't believe you couldn't find it by itself though. weird.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the scratch-x is more agressive. i can't believe you couldn't find it by itself though. weird.
they do sell it by itself, but it's listed as part of a 4 or 5 step process, and i wasn't sure if you needed the whole thing or what. i'm glad i got the scratch-x then because i spent over an hour with the scratch-x (i had lots more scratches to take out, other than the one shown above)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts