Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i was cleaning the throttle body today, and I noticed that it was very black. is this normal?

also, i noticed that the intake hose connected to the throttle body was coated with oil. is this normal?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Mine was as black if not blacker than that.
Pretty sure it closed all the way too. But don't quote me on that one.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
*Some* oil in the intake is normal (everything that would pollute gets dumped in the intake -- kinda like a garbage disposal -- oil vapor from crankcase, fuel evap, etc.). If its dripping all over the place you have a problem: probably overfilled oil.

I think the gap is normal. Even at "closed-throttle" idle *some* air needs to get in.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pete1 said:
*Some* oil in the intake is normal (everything that would pollute gets dumped in the intake -- kinda like a garbage disposal -- oil vapor from crankcase, fuel evap, etc.). If its dripping all over the place you have a problem: probably overfilled oil.

I think the gap is normal. Even at "closed-throttle" idle *some* air needs to get in.
well, the intake hose is lined with oil. it's like it's got a thin layer of oil on it. i guess it makes sensse that the throttle body needs to be slightly open even at idle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.