Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

So the Twin Turbo W8 couldn't be done,huh ?!?!?!

4K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  jeffsu350 
#1 ·
#5 ·
pacent said:
the speedo reads past 340 kph...thats roughly 210 mph.

I still say it can't be done. No way you can fit 2 turbos + the necessary plumbing in a w8...there simply isnt enough room.
The W8 doesn't really take up any more room than the 2.7T in the S4/A6. Where there's a will....

#7 ·
pacent said:

I still say it can't be done. No way you can fit 2 turbos + the necessary plumbing in a w8...there simply isnt enough room.
VWGUY told me about this last night and I was initially skeptical about it, and still am, until I can see legitimate documentation and footage of the entire engine and vehicle build up to final speed.

With all due respect Sir.. and, Im not “sticking up” for VWGUY here, but how the hell do you know what can and can’t be done with a W8 in a Passat? As I recall, everyone was ecstatic a few years ago when rumors were flying about an “8 cylinder Passat”. Less than a year of its introduction, almost no one has anything “positive” to say about it… especially those who don’t own one…

Suddenly, with the advent of the internet, its car forums, and the after-market parts suppliers everyone has become an automotive engineer and know it all…

I can’t wait till you know who chimes in… :roll:

#10 ·
If memory serves me right, a couple years back VW had announced plans to produce a twin turbo version of the W8 in an attempt to compete with the BMW M5.

I haven't seen or heard anything about it since then. I can't recall where I read about it either.

#13 ·
Elias said:
pacent said:

VWGUY told me about this last night and I was initially skeptical about it, and still am, until I can see legitimate documentation and footage of the entire engine and vehicle build up to final speed.

With all due respect Sir.. and, Im not “sticking up” for VWGUY here, but how the hell do you know what can and can’t be done with a W8 in a Passat? As I recall, everyone was ecstatic a few years ago when rumors were flying about an “8 cylinder Passat”. Less than a year of its introduction, almost no one has anything “positive” to say about it… especially those who don’t own one…

Suddenly, with the advent of the internet, its car forums, and the after-market parts suppliers everyone has become an automotive engineer and know it all…

I can’t wait till you know who chimes in… :roll:
Okay okay, maybe it was a bit pretentious of me to say that...I guess with enough money, anything can be done to any car. You dont hafta bust my chops about it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

To me though, I looked inside that w8 engine bay and did not see much room at all...but then again...what does an IT guy know about cars.

#14 ·
Looking inside the engine bay from above, there isn’t room for much. However, once underneath with the splash pan removed… plenty of room :eek:h: The V6 in my A4 looks pretty tight from above, it seems impossible for anything else to be added… Then you look at an S4 version of the same car and go :crazy:

Good Luck to VWGUY with his venture... :D
:poke: You Bastard! Now I have to go out and get something else just to keep up... :cry: :cry: :cry:

#18 ·
Does that not look like it was shot from the outside? You can see part of the A-pillar in the pic. As is someone was holding their hand outside of the car window and taking a pic?

#1 the driver must be very brave or an idiot to attempt that at that speed.

#2 the car must be very still @ 340Km/H even if it was door mounted camera.

#3 No one drives at 340Km/H w/ the window open so where's the glare of the window?

#4 how odd that all the displays read 14XX of some kind. Fluke?

#5 Notice how the intervals between the speedo numbers skips from 20 Km/H to 40 Km/H after 100Km/H? Is that normal?

Not that I'm any sort of photo expert. It just looks wrong to me.

#19 ·
VWGUY4EVER said:
passaturbonium said:
Well VW has supposenly done it.....R40
Seems we've all forgotten about that... Good call Jacob.
I thought the R40 was the W8 equipped version of the R32...

"...For we'll soon see the R-Golf take newer, more potent forms. There's a 4.0-litre W8 version on the way titled the R40, and rumours are getting traction that VW is working on a 300+ kW 5.0-litre R50 Golf. If the M3 isn't quite quaking in its boots at the debut of the R32, the proposed R50 will be a much more serious threat. "

taken from here: NZOOM

#20 ·
S_Klass: Yeah. I'm pretty sure the speedo does that. Look at an RS6 and the speedo has two different scales as well. It "could" be RHD, but who's RHD and reads speeds in km/h? Only Australia I think... With a 1/500 frame rate or higher (I think the professional Canon's do 1/20,000 sec. exposures :shock: ), you could take a picture that looks "still" with a ton of vibration. And yeah, you have to not value your life at all if you're doing over 140 mph in a family sedan/wagon with little or no mechanical downforce.

Anyways. Back to the topic. No one ever said a twin turbo W8 isn't possible. A 1000+ horsepower 1.5L V6 is possible too...so what? The question is why...and do you lose all practicality? Having bragging rights to a ridiculously high powered engine is one thing, but having one where connecting rods aren't considered a "wear item" is another (unless you got Elias's "magic" conn rods... :poke: :p ). *ducks and runs*

#22 ·
Here we go again… the family sedan :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bragging rights? You obviously haven’t witnessed him with his “other family sedan” I agree... sedans were designed to haul people… some of them just... haul Ass :lol:

How exactly does one build a 1000 HP 1.5 litre V6? Do you have any specs on this motor? Have you built one? Why 1.5? Why not 1.0 or 1.6 or 2.0? Is it limited to a V6? How about a V8, or V10? Or is it a magic? :roll:

Please explain the Mechanical down force in general and then realtive to the Passat. This auta be good… :roll:

What’s so ridiculous about a high powered engine? This auta be even better… :roll: :roll:

Magic connecting rods? Is that a term coined at the SEMA show… or did you come up with it on your own :roll: :roll: :roll:

#23 ·
Hmm. Where do I start answering Elias's tactic of throwing irrelevant questions?

Elias said:
How exactly does one build a 1000 HP 1.5 litre V6? Do you have any specs on this motor? Have you built one? Why 1.5? Why not 1.0 or 1.6 or 2.0? Is it limited to a V6? How about a V8, or V10? Or is it a magic?
Who cares why its a V6 or a V8 or a V10? The fact of the matter is, Renault built a 1.5L V6 in the late 80s for their Formula 1 program. Honda accomplished the same feat before they went to 3.0L V10s. And if you really want to know why it was a 1.5L V6, they're called RULES.

Elias said:
Please explain the Mechanical down force in general and then realtive to the Passat. This auta be good…
Wow. Am I the only one who feels like this should be general automotive knowledge? Downforce is the amount of pressure applied at the wheels, measured at a certain speed. You'll see things like "at 185 mph, the Ferrari Enzo produces 1709 lbs of downforce". Front and rear spoilers add downforce by directing air up (and thus, directing the car down), and splitters are used to prevent air from moving under the car, which reduces lift. The more downward pressure you apply on the tire, the more grip your tire will have, resulting in having the ability to change the direction of your car (whether it be braking, accelerating, or turning). I could probably count the lbs of downforce of a Passat or an A4 @ 150 mph on my left hand. But hey, if you really love to drive a car at the speed that would result in NO traction whatsoever, more power to you. If I see your name in the obituaries having sadly died in a high speed crash in an A4, we'll know that you died doing what you love. :thumbup:

Elias said:
What’s so ridiculous about a high powered engine? This auta be even better…
There's nothing ridiculous about them...just make sure you have proper components to match the amount of stress the engine will produce. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that a Passat chassis & drivetrain isn't the best choice for a high powered rig.

Elias said:
Magic connecting rods? Is that a term coined at the SEMA show… or did you come up with it on your own
Must I dig up the past? BTW, I'd be interested if you're selling any. :bow:

Elias said:
There is absolutely no stress on the connecting rod whatsoever… AND IT IS NOT A MAJOR STRUCTURAL PART. As indicated above, it connects the piston to the crankshaft. The only time there is stress on a connecting rod is when the engine is hydro-locked or there is lack of lubrication to either the connecting rod bearings or there is wrist pin seizure. If any or all of the described stress’s occur, then its too late. The rod is either going to bend or snap no matter how thick or strong it is. If this occurs, the motor transforms into an instant boat anchor :cry: .

#24 ·
VWGUY4EVER said:
One could also ask why one would run a a family sedan in an auto-cross or other track event rather than a "sports" car
Because I don't have cash flowing out my ears.

#25 ·
And if you really want to know why it was a 1.5L V6, they're called RULES.

This is a Volkswagen, leave the formula 1 rules out of it…

Front and rear spoilers add downforce by directing air up
You initially wrote “mechanical down-force” and now your explain aerodynamics.
Make up your mind! :???: :???: :???:

I could probably count the lbs of downforce of a Passat or an A4 @ 150 mph on my left hand.

Wana ride shot gun! I’ll give you a calculator, no need to use your hand :)

But hey, if you really love to drive a car at the speed that would result in NO traction whatsoever, more power to you.
I don’t need the power, its the W8 were talking about…but thanks anyway. :wink:

But if you insist, what is the speed for NO traction? And please, no references to Formula 1. Just my Audi… Iv been trying to get that thing on a four wheel drift at high speed to no avail… even with the stupid ASR turned off. :cry: :cry: :cry: Is it me or the Audi? Can you help? I managed to get the old diesel sideways at around 100 but that’s no fun… hard to manage that thing when its wet out…too heavy…Any help would be greatly appreciated! :bow: :bow: :bow:

If I see your name in the obituaries having sadly died in a high speed crash in an A4, we'll know that you died doing what you love.
What type of person posts such morbid thoughts :mad: :mad: :mad:

Must I dig up the past?

Dig up anything you wish, its not healthy to live in the past live today and look towards the future… :wink:

But then again, Im flattered that someone out there can reference my past… :kiss: Who lovs ya BABE!

Because I don't have cash flowing out my ears.
Your mouth is flowing :weirdo:
Wise old man once said… put brain in gear before revving mouth

#26 ·
FYI, mechanical downforce versus active downforce is the act of using a fixed structure to create downward force. Active downforce is created by moving air around (i.e. using a fan to reduce lift, or having remotely adjustable structures on the car).

Am I talking to a wall?

And I assume that you still believe that connecting rods can be paper thin... :poke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.