Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the speedo reads past 340 kph...thats roughly 210 mph.

I still say it can't be done. No way you can fit 2 turbos + the necessary plumbing in a w8...there simply isnt enough room.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
wow, i just wonder :suspicio:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pacent said:

I still say it can't be done. No way you can fit 2 turbos + the necessary plumbing in a w8...there simply isnt enough room.
The W8 doesn't really take up any more room than the 2.7T in the S4/A6. Where there's a will....

·
Registered
941 Posts
pacent said:

VWGUY told me about this last night and I was initially skeptical about it, and still am, until I can see legitimate documentation and footage of the entire engine and vehicle build up to final speed.

With all due respect Sir.. and, Im not “sticking up” for VWGUY here, but how the hell do you know what can and can’t be done with a W8 in a Passat? As I recall, everyone was ecstatic a few years ago when rumors were flying about an “8 cylinder Passat”. Less than a year of its introduction, almost no one has anything “positive” to say about it… especially those who don’t own one…

Suddenly, with the advent of the internet, its car forums, and the after-market parts suppliers everyone has become an automotive engineer and know it all…

I can’t wait till you know who chimes in… :roll:

·
Registered
182 Posts
If memory serves me right, a couple years back VW had announced plans to produce a twin turbo version of the W8 in an attempt to compete with the BMW M5.

I haven't seen or heard anything about it since then. I can't recall where I read about it either.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Elias said:
pacent said:

VWGUY told me about this last night and I was initially skeptical about it, and still am, until I can see legitimate documentation and footage of the entire engine and vehicle build up to final speed.

With all due respect Sir.. and, Im not “sticking up” for VWGUY here, but how the hell do you know what can and can’t be done with a W8 in a Passat? As I recall, everyone was ecstatic a few years ago when rumors were flying about an “8 cylinder Passat”. Less than a year of its introduction, almost no one has anything “positive” to say about it… especially those who don’t own one…

Suddenly, with the advent of the internet, its car forums, and the after-market parts suppliers everyone has become an automotive engineer and know it all…

I can’t wait till you know who chimes in… :roll:
Okay okay, maybe it was a bit pretentious of me to say that...I guess with enough money, anything can be done to any car. You dont hafta bust my chops about it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

To me though, I looked inside that w8 engine bay and did not see much room at all...but then again...what does an IT guy know about cars.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Looking inside the engine bay from above, there isn’t room for much. However, once underneath with the splash pan removed… plenty of room :eek:h: The V6 in my A4 looks pretty tight from above, it seems impossible for anything else to be added… Then you look at an S4 version of the same car and go :crazy:

Good Luck to VWGUY with his venture... :D
:poke: You Bastard! Now I have to go out and get something else just to keep up... :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Does that not look like it was shot from the outside? You can see part of the A-pillar in the pic. As is someone was holding their hand outside of the car window and taking a pic?

#1 the driver must be very brave or an idiot to attempt that at that speed.

#2 the car must be very still @ 340Km/H even if it was door mounted camera.

#3 No one drives at 340Km/H w/ the window open so where's the glare of the window?

#4 how odd that all the displays read 14XX of some kind. Fluke?

#5 Notice how the intervals between the speedo numbers skips from 20 Km/H to 40 Km/H after 100Km/H? Is that normal?

Not that I'm any sort of photo expert. It just looks wrong to me.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
passaturbonium said:
Well VW has supposenly done it.....R40
Seems we've all forgotten about that... Good call Jacob.
I thought the R40 was the W8 equipped version of the R32...

"...For we'll soon see the R-Golf take newer, more potent forms. There's a 4.0-litre W8 version on the way titled the R40, and rumours are getting traction that VW is working on a 300+ kW 5.0-litre R50 Golf. If the M3 isn't quite quaking in its boots at the debut of the R32, the proposed R50 will be a much more serious threat. "

taken from here: NZOOM

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
S_Klass: Yeah. I'm pretty sure the speedo does that. Look at an RS6 and the speedo has two different scales as well. It "could" be RHD, but who's RHD and reads speeds in km/h? Only Australia I think... With a 1/500 frame rate or higher (I think the professional Canon's do 1/20,000 sec. exposures :shock: ), you could take a picture that looks "still" with a ton of vibration. And yeah, you have to not value your life at all if you're doing over 140 mph in a family sedan/wagon with little or no mechanical downforce.

Anyways. Back to the topic. No one ever said a twin turbo W8 isn't possible. A 1000+ horsepower 1.5L V6 is possible too...so what? The question is why...and do you lose all practicality? Having bragging rights to a ridiculously high powered engine is one thing, but having one where connecting rods aren't considered a "wear item" is another (unless you got Elias's "magic" conn rods... :poke: :p ). *ducks and runs*

1 - 20 of 53 Posts