Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was over the girlfriend's the other day and I saw a B5 (almost) identical to mine, outside her house. After a bit of convincing, I talked her into letting me borrow her camera to snap some shots of the two Passats enjoying eachother's presence. She hesitated, called me a nerd and relinquised her camera. The results are below. The next step is trying to get them to join the club. :D Mine's the amber cornered almost stock '98 behind and theirs is the (slightly) lighter green completely stock '99(?) with the pinstripe in the front.

Is it just me, or in the second picture, does the front of my car look a lot longer than the one in front of it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I thought the amber corners (along with the stubby rightside mirrors) were just a 98 thing and they moved to the fluted corners and side blinkers in 99.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well if someone is going to buy a used Passat, it would be a helpful thing to have a neighbor's boyfriend who has links to the CB5 knowledge base. Carry a spare parts or two with you. When the ICM goes in the '99 you can pull one out of your glove box and save the day. Your girlfriend would be so proud! :thumbup:

I think the nose of your car appears longer because of the angle; you can see more of the front and hood.

'98 was the only year for full amber corners. In '99 they went to the clear w/amber inserts, just as you see in the picture.

BTW... Speaking of being a nerd, your car is parked in a yellow zone. :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL I know, it was a risk I had to take for the pictures... Ironically, a cop drove by while I was taking them. He didn't say anything but my stomach dropped for a second. I haven't had the best of luck with the police in this area.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,457 Posts
If you drove a silver B5 wagon in San Diego County, as my wife and I do, parking near one of your clones would be an unremarkable everyday occurrence.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
i thought the 98/99 had the amber markers.
deftones8769 said:
8769"]Really? I thought the amber corners (along with the stubby rightside mirrors) were just a 98 thing and they moved to the fluted corners and side blinkers in 99.
mr. deftones appears correct as my 99 and my buddy's old car, a 99 also, had fluted corners (which look like crap), but only his had the "Nemo" convex mirror (his was built oct 98, mine jan 99, maybe mine is 99.5?) PS, does anyone know how to tell the differences in 99/99.5?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
jaero said:
When the ICM goes in the '99 you can pull one out of your glove box and save the day. Your girlfriend would be so proud! :thumbup:
What is an ICM? I have a '99, so I want to know what is going to fail on my car :p

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
luvmyb5 said:
D.Passat00 said:
i thought the 98/99 had the amber markers.
deftones8769 said:
Really? I thought the amber corners (along with the stubby rightside mirrors) were just a 98 thing and they moved to the fluted corners and side blinkers in 99.
mr. deftones appears correct as my 99 and my buddy's old car, a 99 also, had fluted corners (which look like crap), but only his had the "Nemo" convex mirror (his was built oct 98, mine jan 99, maybe mine is 99.5?) PS, does anyone know how to tell the differences in 99/99.5?
early '99:
stubby passenger side mirror
clear fluted corners w/amber reflector
amber repeaters on fender
speedo w/hash marks only every 10mph
overhead maplight/sunroof panel w/no "vent/grill" by maplight switch
banjo keys w/seperate remote

full '99:
regular sized passenger side mirror
clear fluted repeaters on fender
speedo w/hash marks every 5mph
vent/grill thingy on overhead maplight panel
switchblade keys

(YMMV, this is all i've learned from comparing my '99 to my buddy's...)

who's the nerd now?! :p

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
selurffoeg said:
early '99:

full '99:
switchblade keys

Thanks, man, I never had the chance to compare as the only two times I was in the car before he sold it for a GTI was playing PS2 (he had a cool system with headrest-mounted lcd screens) so I really never got the chance to compare. Except for the Nemo mirror (another guy at a gtg one night noticed it when we parked next to each other) which I would consider to be a pain in the ass to have...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
early '99:

full '99:
switchblade keys

Hey don't forget the early '99s have the intercooler inlet nearly blocked off, the old style timing belt tensioner, and a push down to get the manual transmission into reverse.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
CRD99 said:
Hey don't forget the early '99s have the intercooler inlet nearly blocked off, the old style timing belt tensioner, and a push down to get the manual transmission into reverse.
oh yeah, how could i forget about the push-down and crappy tensioner!

i didn't know about the intercooler inlet though, is the inlet on later ones that much larger? I guess that could be a dremel mod....

(sorry for diverging from deftone's subject.... um great looking green B5's!! :wink: )

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yeah I used the dremel on mine to open it up like the later ones. It's the grill part that is blocked off, you can just pop it out. The duct behind is also different but you can buy that at the dealer for about $15.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey my car had the early tensioner and it has push down reverse, but I have clear fluted corners and side markers, I have full size mirrors and the newer speedo. My car is a 12/98 build date, is mine considered an early or later 99?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Inferno said:
Hey my car had the early tensioner and it has push down reverse, but I have clear fluted corners and side markers, I have full size mirrors and the newer speedo. My car is a 12/98 build date, is mine considered an early or later 99?
hmmm... must be the elusive late-early 99.... :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts