Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to give you guys the heads up - the railing got damaged using the jack w/o the plastic railing piece. the plastic piece is a must!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Man that is bad. :shock: I used a hydraulic jack on friday to change out one of my tires, but I used a suspension anchor point. I was worried about breaking the plastic!

·
Registered
301 Posts
ya, i always try to use the subframe mounts to jack it up... even if i have to use the OEM jack to get it high enough to fit the hydraulic jack under there.

on my rabbit, somebody did something stupid like this with a lift, and ended up pushing in the whole floor pan, the metal down there is soooooo thin.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I hate the stupid jack design on this car. It's almost impossible to put a jack under there AND get the jack stand positioned correctly so that you don't do exactly what you're doing. the other option is to jack it up where the lift pads are supposed to go (the Audi TT lift pads that is). even then, it's still hard to get a jack and jack stand in there.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Triumph said:
I hate the stupid jack design on this car. It's almost impossible to put a jack under there AND get the jack stand positioned correctly so that you don't do exactly what you're doing. the other option is to jack it up where the lift pads are supposed to go (the Audi TT lift pads that is). even then, it's still hard to get a jack and jack stand in there.
yeah, it's a pain to use the jack and jack stand on the car. how do you use the lifting pads?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
:shock: what did you have in your car!!! I've jacked my car up numerous times on the rails, and have never bent one yet (knock on wood). that's some crazy bendage!!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chrisyoon said:
:shock: what did you have in your car!!! I've jacked my car up numerous times on the rails, and have never bent one yet (knock on wood). that's some crazy bendage!!
oh, just a couple of anvils, boulders, rocks, jet engines, you know, normal typical stuff :p

but seriously, there wasn't anything heavy in the car. some stuff on the trunk, but still substantially less than 100 lbs. i think the mistake i made was to jack where the thing starts to turn inward (where the worst bending is).

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Wow, that sucks, good input for all so. I use a hydraulic jack as well, but i use a piece of 2X4 (about 12 inches) to go on the the part that goes on the car, the wood is soft and it spreads the load on the car, no bending :thumbup: .

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RAH said:
Wow, that sucks, good input for all so. I use a hydraulic jack as well, but i use a piece of 2X4 (about 12 inches) to go on the the part that goes on the car, the wood is soft and it spreads the load on the car, no bending :thumbup: .
that's not a bad idea either. but how do you put the jack stand on? does it also sit on the 2x4?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for the FYI! I will go get me some of those little blocks!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yeah, I need some of those jack pads too. I messed up my Jetta like this.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Where do we get these blocks btw? I heard a hockey puck with a slot in the middle works too.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I like the hockey puck idea...just saw a groove.

I used the 2X4 idea for about 3-4 lifts, then split the wood. Although I think your version of it being long is better than the way I had it with a 4x4 size block.

still hard to place the jack stand with the Hydro jack since the stands' legs get in the way. I actually like the OEM jack , it works well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
if you use a 2x4, remember to go across the grain, otherwise you'll just be choppin' wood.

Here is the jack pad kit. There is a little plug that these pop into, conveniently located behind the jack in the picture above so you can't see them. These are where you can jack from or put the car up on the lift. Easy to install and take the guesswork out of where to jack.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Could you all be a little more specific about the jack pads. I just orded a set on Friday and noone can really tell me where they go I was going to look for posts relating to the subject so that I could get an idea of where they would go underneath the car. Does anyone have a picture of them installed. :???: I have also found it difficult to place jack stands under my passat but under my C280 it at aleast comes with jack pads but there is no place under there to put a jack stand with confidence. I have also heard BMW owners complain about finding spots to list there cars with a hydralic jack.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
a good lift point i was informed of for the front is right where the belly pan is attached in the front with the 10mm nut. this is the frame. make sure you are actually on it when you lift. work perfecct for my suspension install! and yea, those jack pads would be nice, but if there is buckling, then itd be a huge no-no

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
When i use the 2X4, the reason for being 12 inches long is that you jack t up with the hydraulic jack, with the wood piece sticking out on the back side more. When you have it in position, slide your jack stand under the piece of wood, closest to the hydraulic jack. You can then lower the hydraulic and the jack stand take over. It always worked for me, and the 2X4 i use is solid, against the grain piece of wood :wink: . You always have to go with what you are comfortable with and always put wheel blocks in front and back of the wheels that are on the ground, it can also shift forward, be really careful with that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
22 Participants
MasTRE
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing