Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
So who controls the press better than the Democrat party? Any question the party asks is the media's lead story the next day.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
unlike this administration's approach. :poke:
Which has been completely ineffective. Hell, the press is even in love with John McCain again. He fell off the face of the planet to them after they finished brutalizing him in the Presidential Campaign.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't wait what to see the policy crap of the last 3 years I've had to enforce get rolled back, it was killing small businesses for no reason other than an unbalanced workers and unions first mentality.
How so? I'm a part of a small business that almost seized to exist in 2008. We are doing great now, but I'm curious what those policies are that you're talking about. I'm not disputing what you're saying, though. I know in the late 90's things were going well in some parts of the country, while areas of Michigan for example, were going south. I am very skeptical of this president, though. Not much what he has said has held water. Throughout his life, he hasn't been "America first", but more "Dollar first". I hope his mentality will changes, but the AHCA he proposed shows otherwise. Not a fan of Obamacare by any means, but what this administration proposed was a joke. And kudos to John McCain, one of the very few people in our political system with balls.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Biggest one is doing liquidated damages for all FLSA violations. The majority of which are honest mistakes. Instead of making people whole like we've done for 80 years we now enrich the worker. Before a couple years ago damage was only done for the egregious violations that were taken to court. In fact the act says you have to take them to court for damages but we strong arm employers now saying if you "voluntarily" agree to pay damages we won't take you to court.

Then there is the drive to say franchisors are employers despite decades of case law that says they aren't.

We hurt the home companion businesses and it's employees by requiring minimum wage and overtime. I know you're saying that makes no sense. But I've seriously had employees in the industry calling me crying because their now limited hours means the job can no longer provide for them and they loved what they were doing. It's also busting state budgets that pay for a lot of this and leaving people without the services they need. I'm not even getting into the parents and home care on their parents/relatives that was hurt.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just want to say that almost every one of you has NO idea what it is to live in a dictatorship. Where you are afraid of saying something against the rulers because you could get hauled off to jail.
Your personal freedoms are severely curtailed, that is the few you may have. Radio, TV and newspapers are all controlled by the "government". Even in some cases moving residences may be curtailed.
The police need to be informed of your address. There are many more examples.
But, the USA a dictatorship ? The president a dictator ? Think again.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Perspective from north of 49th gives a different view. I will go out on a limb here, most Canadians are pretty well versed on world affairs compared to most Americans. Why? it's due to the fact that Canada is only 35 Million people huddled along the warmest portion of our southern International boundary. We have 24 hour news stations, but not much is happening at any given time, so we have to fill in the blank airspace with other news coverage. We take from USA, Europe, Asia, other places to round out our TV & radio news coverage. The side benefit is we are more aware of international situations.

Contrast the situation in USA, there is enough going on at any given minute to keep multiple 24 hour news stations active, all-the-time. The USA viewers will never need to see filler from Norway, Brazil, Montevideo. The average USA viewer only knows about his/her country. Not their fault at all.

In summary: my viewpoint from here is worth $0.02 CAD - 24/7

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
...USA viewers will never need to see filler from Norway, Brazil, Montevideo.
True. Even if we did, that "filler" would be forced to compete with headlines containing the words "could", "would, "if", "why" and other fake news trigger words. Op Eds, while showing opposing viewpoints, aren't "fake" IMHO.

6-30 edit: Re: Some of the recent Tweets... "Even a fish would not get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Least effective POTUS so far, perhaps for all term?

I agree with Jay Leno, the ongoing battle from both sides in the media is turning off viewers, it does nothing but agitate people. From Leno's perspective, the late night shows need to give it a rest because the last thing Americans need before they try to sleep is the same topic causing them acid-reflux. It was laughable at first, now not so much.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It may be that what we are witnessing is not a national political schism, but a Wall Street political schism. The Donald flies the flag of the radical right of the Street's hedge fund billionaires, while the Dems (Chuck Shumer) are led by the more traditional billionaires. They're all shortsighted greedy bastards, who seldom look beyond this quarter's earnings's report.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Republicans desperately wanted Obama to fail.

Democrats now desperately want Trump to be impeached. Payback is a bitch!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts