Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm walking out to my car to go to lunch and I notice my sunroof is in the full vented position. I never use my sunroof so I thought this was pretty wierd. I thought maybe I bumped the knob when I was putting in my windshield sunshade. The knob was in the closed position.

What could have made my sunroof open by itself? THis is wierd. I have a 2001.5 passat so it's 3 years old. Hopefully it doesn't do this in the rain, not that it rains much here in AZ.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Ah, welcome to one of the hidden features of our cars. When the car senses that you need fresh air, it will simply open the sunroof for you!

Seriously - this seems to be common. I cleaned the connector to the sunroof switch, and it stopped it for about a year, but it has recently started again...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rusty said:
Seriously - this seems to be common....
GAH! How common?!
The only strange thing I've noticed on my '03 is that the sunroof was closed but the dial was in the vent position. I put the dial to the closed position and nothing happened (good) and then put it to the vent position and it tilted up (also good). So how did it close? I hope my car isn't making decisions for me.
cheers :beer:

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
teknubic said:
Rusty said:
Seriously - this seems to be common....
GAH! How common?!
The only strange thing I've noticed on my '03 is that the sunroof was closed but the dial was in the vent position. I put the dial to the closed position and nothing happened (good) and then put it to the vent position and it tilted up (also good). So how did it close? I hope my car isn't making decisions for me.
This can happen if you use the key in the driver's door lock to close all of the windows and sunroof (you know, like that old Jetta commercial).

When you get in the car later, you'll see the dial still set to the "vent" or "open" position, yet the sunroof will be closed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My key never touches the door.
Maybe I did do it once to see if it worked. I don't remember.
Anyone else have their sunroof do phantom operations?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Rusty said:
Ah, welcome to one of the hidden features of our cars. When the car senses that you need fresh air, it will simply open the sunroof
Since when :suspicio:
I had sunroof issues today...I closed it and it almost closed all the way and then opened right back up. This happend in all positions including vent. So I stopped turned off the car for a minute...turned it back on and it closed :crazy:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rusty wrote:
Ah, welcome to one of the hidden features of our cars. When the car senses that you need fresh air, it will simply open the sunroof

Since when
I had sunroof issues today...I closed it and it almost closed all the way and then opened right back up. This happend in all positions including vent. So I stopped turned off the car for a minute...turned it back on and it closed
Rusty was kidding folks. Our cars aren't that smart. Back to the possessed sunroof, anybody else have their sunroof open to vent while the know is in the closed position. The opposite could be true if you use the key to close the sunroof.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the same problem too and it drove me crazy. I wish I could remember who gave me the advice on how to fix it. Basically you need to take out the dial (potentiometer??) and clean and/or rebend the contact points. I did this about 4 months ago and it has worked perfect ever since (knock on wood). I don't know if this helps but at least you get a bump. PM me if you have any questions, I will do my best to help you.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks folks. Sounds like another action item for the dealer. I have an extended warranty and my gas gauge is busted too, so I'll have to get that fixed to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sunroof issues

I have a '98 GLS with 112,000 miles, purchased new a little over 6 years ago. This past fall, I noticed that the sunroof would open on its own to the vent position as well. It hasn't happened lately, but just wanted to add my two cents...

·
Registered
346 Posts
It happens... it's one of the cool features about b5's... you see, VW values the health of it's drivers.

It's there to keep your right hand active when you're not shifting, kind of like arm extensions, with some wrist articulation. I've found it useful when it opens, I can get some exercise for my wrist.

When it opens, it's a reminder to:
- reach up to knob
- give it a few twists back and forth until the sunroof closes
- sometimes the roof will only close part way. Don't worry. This is a smart feature of the car to say that you haven't done enough exercise.
-continue twisting until the sunroof fully closes

You may wish to check heart-rate to see if you got a full workout at this point. :lol:

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Maybe you have something in the way that activates the anti-pinch protection. Check the area around the sunroof to make sure you don't have any obstructions like twigs or dead mice.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See I haven't used my sunroof for probably a year. It opened with the car off and parked and me in my office working. Why the sunroof should even operate when the car is off and the doors are locked is beyond me.

I can see if I was driving and the car is jiggling around that maybe the potentiaometer could sense a change in voltage and open it, but the car was parked. Wierd....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
Rusty wrote:

Since when
I had sunroof issues today...I closed it and it almost closed all the way and then opened right back up. This happend in all positions including vent. So I stopped turned off the car for a minute...turned it back on and it closed
Rusty was kidding folks. Our cars aren't that smart. Back to the possessed sunroof, anybody else have their sunroof open to vent while the know is in the closed position. The opposite could be true if you use the key to close the sunroof.
If your car is turned off, with no key in it, and someone moves the sunroof dial, nothing will happen. So if it is moved to closed, and it is still open, when you start the car, it will remain open.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good point...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Did someone fart in the car? its the built-in antiflatuence mechinisms working to air it out so you don't pass out when you get back in it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
My '98 has done this on occasion for quite a while.
It has NEVER done it when I was not in the car - only while the car was running.
I usually just turn the switch to open the sunroof (moonroof) and then turn the switch to close it. Sometimes I have to repeat this process. :mad:
And I make sure I check it before I leave the car.

Germany makes great machines & great weapons, but they just can't do electronics the way the Japanese can! (IMHO)

I think this is one of the primary 'Gremlins' that plague our cars.

Thanks to those who posted about cleaning the switch contacts. Someday (hopefuly soon) I'll check that out.

Oh, and welcome to the "EGC" (Electrical Gremlin Club)!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
29 Participants
cygirl
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing