Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 5 spd, 4mo. GLS Variant- (150 miles today). Due to business, I will be forced to drive to Vermont on Monday, from Rhode Island (about a 4 hour trip all hwy).

Is this going to be bad for my perscribed "break in period"? Obviously I'll be going over 60mph, and revs will probably be up. Bad idea? Wasn't expecting any traveling for the next few months- that's why I got the rig when I did!! :mad:

Do I really need to take the bus????? :roll:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Read the manual! It's all spelled out. 60 mph is ok, it's only around 3k rpm. Vary the engine RPM's (keep the cruise control off). Avoid full throttle but let the engine rev. It's probally a very good trip to get the engine broken in. I did a run up to VT with only 1k in mine. Doesn't burn a drop of oil at 19k. Don't forget to check the oil, it will burn some during the first 5k miles. Have fun!

·
Registered
104 Posts
psstwgn said:
Just got my new 5 spd, 4mo. GLS Variant- (150 miles today). Due to business, I will be forced to drive to Vermont on Monday, from Rhode Island (about a 4 hour trip all hwy).

Is this going to be bad for my perscribed "break in period"? Obviously I'll be going over 60mph, and revs will probably be up. Bad idea? Wasn't expecting any traveling for the next few months- that's why I got the rig when I did!! :mad:

Do I really need to take the bus????? :roll:
haha, just picked up mine 2 days ago. was being very conscious of the 4k RPM limit until this moring, when this punk in a ford contour tried to take me off the line. well, all I can say is Althea 1, others 0

:wink:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have a morning highway commute I couldn't avoid - for my first 1000 miles I did manage to keep my speed under 80mph. I do plenty of around-town stuff though outside of work, so I didn't feel too bad on it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
gtigolfpassat said:
was being very conscious of the 4k RPM limit
I haven't seen anything about rev limits officially, just the limit of not going more than 3/4 of the max speed as listed on the speedometer (which is crazy, since with our 160mph speedo, that's 120mph). Even if you go with the 135mph factory speed limiter, that's still 101mph. :)

But yes, 4K's a good rev limit, though it's not hard and fast, just don't want to try to stress the engine too much. Having occasional runs will probably be good, though. 8)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hear conflicting responses on this topic. I however believe in a proper break in period of the engine just as there is a proper break in method/period for brakes.

Don't stomp on it and don't hold a constant speed. The other thing that I've done is after a highway drive, don't just come to a stop and shut the car off. IMHO, it's better to do some stop and go just before your final destination. Again...only doing this during the break in period 8) .

Hope it helps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts