1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So listen to this deal...Unbelievable?? *UPDATE with photos

** Update with photos
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kovert...X9J1GBDlrorvlT

So my buddy's new girlfriend picked up a new EOS because her 2002 Passat V6 GLX, 4Motion began to act up. It's that blueish silver color w/97K on the clock. It has been hit in the trunk so that's not in very good shape, and the right rear door panel had some bad body work. But other than that, the interior is nice, with grey leather.

On to the good part. I took it for a test drive with the check engine light on and the transmission bucking a little bit. Well she asked if I wanted it, and told me I can have it for $1000.

So I snagged it. I drove it home and voila, the check engine light went out. The tranny still seemed to shift funny, but overall not too bad. So I cleaned it, and have it sitting in my driveway debating the next step. I reset the tranny with that key-on, wait scenario and took it for a drive. The hesitation seemed to go away, but I think the TCU or wiring might be a little off from a previous water episode.

So what I am debating on is, do I see if I can find someone with a VAG to check out the codes to see what actually went wrong in case it's something major, or do I just register it, drive it, and see how it goes? BTW, I live in Winchester, VA about 50 miles out of NoVA.

I plan to change all the fluids, and give her a tune up, but don't want to sink any additional cash if something expensive is on the horizon. ANy ideas?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,168 Posts
I would have popped for the grand, on the assumption that I could break it up for parts if necessary. Unless you want to do that, what's the harm in giving it a try? You already own it.

First thing to do is read any diagnostic codes, either at a dealer, friendly forum member with vag-com, or an Autozone freebie if there's one in the area.

Uh, can you ask her if the timing belt was done? (GRIN)

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Given that you bought a lightly-used car for a thousand bucks, you could throw ten grand at it and still make out like a bandit.

Change the fluids, change the timing belt/waterpump/accessory belts, replace as many vacuum hoses as you can stand to work on with silicone, put copper sparkplugs in it (the fancy metals don't conduct heat or electricity as well as copper), get the CV joints regreased, and pull up the driver's footwell carpeting to check the CCM computer for water damage. After all that, call it a good investment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to call the dealer she took it to...

See what records I could dig up. From what I know, she took it to the dealer for everything...

In regards to taking it to AutoZone for the scan, they said it's a no go because the light was no longer lit. I've driven it about 5-6 times and the check engine light has yet to return.

When she took it to the dealer about a month ago, they said the only thing coming up was a brake fluid change, something I can easily do.

I love the car to be honest, it's like my fathers 2001.5 but actually more loaded. I'm not so worried about the body since it looks fine, just not perfect.

So I guess the next step is find out the codes before I do anything like the following:

Fluids (oil, brake, possibly tranny and diff)
Plugs, filters and anything else easy right off the bat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh...

In regards to the water, it was on the passenger side, and I pretty much noticed the cabin filter looks to have caused the issue. I'm looking for a replacement, but I cleaned it out (plugged like crazy), and am now looking for the best way to clean all the other drain areas.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dude, you'd better stop tinkering with that car and reading these forums or in a couple of weeks you'll be asking what lowering springs are best and which shocks do we recommend and what's the little visor thingy that folds down behind the mirror.....

Chris
02 GLX -Paid $27,000-for-mine-Edition

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
90k and tranny issues
9/10 its the fluid. Change the fluid with OEM esso (generic ATF won't work) with a filter and pan drop. Good chance it goes away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahaha, jealousy is vicious..

Ah man, I have pondered lowering springs because I had H&R/Bilsteins on my 325i, but when I had my Jetta, the Wolfsburg setup was fine for the lease :)

In regards to the "sunglass holder" yes, I am searching for a grey one. I love it, and I bought my dad one for his passat.

How much am I looking for the tranny change, parts that is. I think I can handle that job as it really doesn't seem all that difficult. Just something I've never done. I'll probably spend about $200-300 on fluids and such alone!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
How much am I looking for the tranny change, parts that is. I think I can handle that job as it really doesn't seem all that difficult. Just something I've never done. I'll probably spend about $200-300 on fluids and such alone!
actually, i've heard its among the most annoying jobs. Its a good idea, though not 100% required to have a vag-com.
As for parts, its not really that much, I paid $225 including labor for mine.

·
Registered
517 Posts
for the passenger side leakage use silicone or some other putty/filler to seal the pollen filter from water. Also check all the wiring in the passenger side interior to see if there is any damage. I got a few CEL's because of it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CEL's

Were the CEL's serious or more annoyances. I'll take a look at the harness as that's what her dealer said could become an issue. I assume I can either somehow bypass the harness or at least any corrosion. Not sure the easiest repair but soldering or adding new terminals shouldn't be a deal if that's really what's causing the problems. Like I said though, the lights haven't come on since that day.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
all the fluids I figured...brake fluid, diff, tranny, oil...blah blah blah
No...no no no...they'll hit you up for much more than that. Getting just the transmission fluid and filter changed at the dealer costs about $600.

That said, while Winchester is a bit of a hike from Ashburn (near Leesburg), if you can't track down a VAG-COM closer to where you are, I have one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appreciate it...

I may have to take you up on that offer for the VAG :)

But I have no intention on having the dealer do any of that work. Fluid changes and all that, no need. I'm a decent shade tree mechanic.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Appreciate it...

I may have to take you up on that offer for the VAG :)

But I have no intention on having the dealer do any of that work. Fluid changes and all that, no need. I'm a decent shade tree mechanic.
The description I've heard for changing the transmission fluid involves an intravenous drip to fine-tune the fluid level. It's just not worth the effort to me. Best of luck with it, though.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Wow man you made out like bandit dude...I am also a bit jealous...only a grand for an 02 GLX Sedan?? I agree, if something does go wrong part it out...if not you got a great car for next to nothing...

v_dubin - Candy White B5.5

1 - 20 of 40 Posts