Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

So, I'm a little pissed at the wife.....

3K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  VAGguy 
#1 · (Edited)
But I'm pretty over it now. Took a while to get around to this because I haven't really had the time to look or wash the car since it happened. First week in March, we took a trip to the Poconos in PA. Great Wolf Lodge, neat place especially for kids. Well, we brought a long her mom to help with my son. They decided they wanted to go shopping at the local outlet, so I decided to stay at the lodge with my boy and we could just run around or whatever. She's driven my car on occasion so I wasn't worried. Still, I had a funny feeling......

Well they come back and the first thing out of my MIL's mouth was "I think you need to take a look at this" bad thing to say for someone protective of his car.

Apparently, my wife was backing out of a spot and someone swiped the rear bumper. They got our insurance info, but my MIL didn't get theirs, WTF? Just a name. What good is that? So of course I got a call from my insurance co, but it seems nothing ever came of it. The wife just gave her side of the story, that they were tearing ass thru the parking lot and she didn't see them. From what I understand, she was at fault for backing into traffic. The cops wouldn't even file a report.

I think I am just going to get some paint and clear from Paintscratch and try it myself. If it doesn't look good, I'll get it done professionally, along with a niggling little dent on the top of my hatch. I couldn't get mad at her too much because she is pretty good about driving and is extra cautious with mine....and she's 7 mos. preggers. But Dammit, I'm pissed it was my car.

See less See more
#6 ·
Dan....that sucks bro.....I've been there and there's really nothing you can do about it...just blow it off....

Although it will be noticeable even when you touch it up, you've got to remember...your car is a DD, and any car that's a DD will inevitably have paint scars

On a side note though, the Great Wolf Lodge is a great indoor water park to kick it!!

#9 ·
On a side note though, the Great Wolf Lodge is a great indoor water park to kick it!!
Yeah man, we go either there or Williamsburg at least 3-4 times a year. Love it.

#7 ·
At least you can blame it on someone else. I had about 1,000 miles on the odo when I backed into a concrete post in my company's parking garage ...

I found a place that specialized in airbrush touch ups. For $100, they made it completely disappear. (They removed the trim piece, filled it all in a bit, panted to match and wet-sanded it smooth.)

#12 ·
Dan, don't forget you can get OEM paint with clear in spray cans at your dealer for about $15.

Sorry this happened, and I'm sure you're blowing steam, but it's not too awful. I'd say give it a go, whether you get the OEM or buy from Paintscratch.com.

Good luck!

#13 ·
Your Malfunction Indicator Light is a lot more interactive than mine. It just flashes and engine with a lightning bolt :D

#16 ·
This is THE first time that paint has been removed from any car I owned aside from rock chips. I am cautious where I park, who I park next to, traffic conditions, potential for damage....up until now, I've had really good luck. I'm not irate, just pissed. But you spend a good chunk of change on a car, take care of it, and this happens. I'm just very protective of my belongings. I worked hard for them. Is that a bad thing?

#18 ·
I think why it hurts so much s that it is the first car I have owned that I really put some effort into modding it. The most I have ever done before was a "system" and wheels. I take a lot of pride in what I have done (I have even more on the horizon) and then sh#t happens. I know there is not much I can do to prevent stuff happening, I just really needed to vent. Thanks everybody.

#19 ·
I bought my car brand new in 2000, paid nearly 22,000 for it in the year 2000. Then 2 months later my pops came in and said "you're going to hate me" and I got a sinking feeling as I knew what was coming. He was mowing along the driveway and spun 2 nice chunks of rock into the door. A couple of whopper dings. Now that hurt, my wifes friends who were there still talk about the fit I went into. :)

#20 ·
Fast forward 12.5yrs. No further damage to the Passat other than a tiny ding in the rear quarter and a mirror cover from backing out of the garage.

Then this. The day of our first snow of the year (Yes, even counting from Jan-March 2020) It happened before it started snowing. I am now unaffected, mostly. This B8.5 A4 is the most satisfying car I've owned to date. Sport package (30mm lower and handles like an S4), sport seats, all the goodies. A woman in a minivan goosed me at a stop light. Will be going under the knife next week. Hopefully not too extensive. I know they'll need to pull the rear panel or cut and replace. New bumper, new trunk lid, respray of the rear quarters from chipping on the corners, maybe a new sensor. To add insult to injury, almost one month prior to the day, I had someone on a sport bike kick and break my auto-dim driver side mirror after I mistakenly got over to the right lane he was in at nigh, while he was doing likely double the posted 55mph speed limit.

Attachments

#21 ·
The cops wouldn't even file a report.
Yeah, I can relate to this BS. We were in a rental, in NH, and driving out of a parking lot that had a snowman 5 stories high (no joke) - and the snow was a story high. You couldn't see around the banks, so no idea if anyone was coming on the main road. So, in an abundance of caution I laid on my horn as I was exiting. Some idiot comes flying in, hears/sees us, pauses, decides to use his truck to go up the embankment of snow on what is essentially a one lane road (because of the snow), and his truck slides right down into our rental. Cops show up and say "it's private property, can't do anything, can't file a report" WTF? Unbelievable.

#22 ·
It's actually common. This last incident, they would not file a report either. Unless there were injuries or death, they only record that it happened for insurance purposes. I don't think the lady even received a citation for failure to control their vehicle.

#23 ·
Oh man does that suck!
I still have yet to do any damage to a vehicle on my own accord.
I've owned 3 brand new vehicles that have all been destroyed by other people. It is because of those circumstances the new car buying experience has left a very salty taste in my mouth.
Unless I run into a wad cash by some windfall, I will never buy brand new again.
Even my daily driver that's now going 23 years old, it's a bit rough around the edges, it just infuriates me when some asshat dings the side of the car with their door at the grocery store.
Just once I would like to be the one who puts a giant dent in the body work.

#24 ·
Just once I would like to be the one who puts a giant dent in the body work.
Now that I think about it, I did that once with my 2004 GLX.
Wife and I were splitting wood on my 34 ton log splitter when a log exploded and hit my wife then left a huge knarf in my door.

#27 ·
I did. It pushed in the floor pan there a little. They are confident they can either pull it or cut out and replace. Either way, I pretty much made up my mind that come spring, I will be getting an S4 or S5 of the same vintage. It's what I really wanted, but this was a nice compromise. I can keep up with the S cars in the twisties, but not when the road opens up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.