Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and i got some very crappy reads only 4-5 psi but the vac reads alittle bit over 10 is this normal for stock 1.8 t if this is true im deff going to get some performance parts going thats really low i think.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Sounds like you have a vac leak and if you have a vac leak, boost can be light. With car at operating temp, A/C off, vac should read 18-20 at idle in neutral, 20-22 when coasting in gear. These are approximates, but 10 psi is clearly low. Check all vac hoses for leaks.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Maybe time for this post again: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=299186

I have a stock '99 and found 3 of these - the circle with A and B and then the arrow with 3 that points into the middle of the intake manifold. I had changed A and B, plan to do C with my next oil change.

I'll be real interested in you stock boost readings after you fix the leak. When I was having an N75J put in, the mechanic temporarily put in a boost gauge. In a second gear pull, it would just spike for an intsant up to 7, and then quickly drop. Its a shame to know all the boost that is being wasted just to keep the torque curve flat!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok guys i check and haha stupid ass me i didnt put pn this fitting over the little line it came with and over the t fitting but yes now the vac is read 18-20 and now when i pinn it it hits about a little bit over 5 psi

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Stock boost on mine, when I pull the chip to go to the dealer, is about 5-7 psi, so you're alright. With my 1.1 Bar Wett chip I hold about 16 psi at full throttle, spike at 18-20. Replace your diverter valve if you are going to chip it. Easy and cheap mod that considerably improves performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.