Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......and decided to deaden my doors. Enjoy.

The door with the internals removed and degreased. I found a crossthreaded bolt for the door latch mechanism from the fatory too. I wonder if I can re-tap it???

Dynamat Extreme applied

Dynamat TAC Mat applied

Dynamat Dynaxorb damping pads applied

The back side of the door panels and the front side of the window regulator was already deadened.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

Not bored, really. I've been wanting to take the kicks out and go back to a 2-way for some time and being off this week it was the best time. The deadening part was a spur of the moment thing.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
COOL!!!!!

Ive wanted to doors like that for awhile now. How does it sound is the important question?

I was going to use some acoustic material for the next step (over the deadener). Very interested too see what you think of the whole thing when your done.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll let you know tomorrow. I didn't get the extra spacers made for the MW160s (I had MW160GTs in there before) plus I'm moving the tweeters into the mid location and taking the kicks out so i still have some work to do but I'll definitely report back Bob.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've been thinking of doing this in my car as well -- would love to know if all the deadening makes a difference with road noise and sound quality.

I had done a bunch of sound deadening in my old Blazer and couldn't tell a difference because the thing was so loud on the road anyway!

Was anything particularly difficult to take apart / put together? I have never done this on a Passat before...

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was anything particularly difficult to take apart / put together? I have never done this on a Passat before...

Thanks for posting!
It was easier than I thought it would be. Even the regulator was easy to get out once I backed out the LONG screws holding the spacers in. In a stock Passat it's cake. Herman's write-up for the regulator removal is VERY good.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you going to sell your kicks?
No, but I'll give them away. They're REALLY not of the quality I'd be comfortable charging for. What are you planning on putting them? I'm no sire anything but the Dyn mid will fit in there. I AM most likely going to sell the mids and the 3-way crossover since I doubt I'm going to use them again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, but I'll give them away. They're REALLY not of the quality I'd be comfortable charging for. What are you planning on putting them? I'm no sire anything but the Dyn mid will fit in there. I AM most likely going to sell the mids and the 3-way crossover since I doubt I'm going to use them again.
Ill take the kicks off ya..but do you have more info on the mids and crossovers? iam not sure what iam going to put in my front stage. I wont mind if i have to do some mods to make another set of speakers fit but iam still running stock and its killing me

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go to Dynaudio.com and click on Welcome. Then go to Automotive and click on aftermarket. Then go to 3-way systems and click on System 342. These mids and crossover are from the System 340 which is from last year. The complete System 340 or 342 is an EASY drop-in. You could just get a system 242 and use the mid and tweeter from this set and have a System 342.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks a little out of my price range....but the kicks you built were for the 3in midrange? i never saw the ones in your car

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't HAVE to use Dyns. There are LOADS of other drivers you can use.

Here's a pic of the driver's side kick. The Feb issue of Performance Auto and Sound has better pics.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Okay I see what your saying ill still take your kicks though my zip is 73505 PM me how much you want for shipping and everything....

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts