Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at our condo after work to drop off some stuff, get the mail...etc. I was on my way out to come home to where we still live and I went to unlocked the car door. The alarm starts going off :roll: I've been having issues, but I was able to get by with either opening the door with the key, or playing with the key fob until this time.

I couldn't get it to stop! :eek:h:

I put the key in the ignition thinking it would recognize the key and stop. NOPE, it kept on going :oops:

It felt like an eternity, but it was probably 2 or 3 minutes that it was going off. I tried everything from getting out and closing the door to lock/unlock it with the key, but again, it kept going :mad:

Whatever is wrong, I'm ready to get it fixed :???:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
When I had my Jetta, I had this problem where a wire would come loose in my steering column I would be in driving lets say in a parking lot at a mall or rather and the horn would go off. I would have to turn the wheel just so to get it to turn off.. I would try to keep the steering wheel straight, but "no", it would keep going off. People would look at me and I would feel as if I was standing out like a sore-thumb. :p

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
NotAPreppie said:
I've also heard that a bad microswitch in one of the doors can cause this.
What do you mean by bad microswitch? My alarm is starting to act up. When I set it, sometimes it won't lock the driver door. I'll open it thinking the alarm isn't set, and it goes off. Another time, I got all the way in, and tried to start it. The alarm started going off as soon as I turned the key.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
B5V6 said:
NotAPreppie said:
I've also heard that a bad microswitch in one of the doors can cause this.
What do you mean by bad microswitch? My alarm is starting to act up. When I set it, sometimes it won't lock the driver door. I'll open it thinking the alarm isn't set, and it goes off. Another time, I got all the way in, and tried to start it. The alarm started going off as soon as I turned the key.
My problem is that the door unlocks, but it doesn't know it's disarmed and the little light by the lock continues to blink. As soon as I put the key in the ignition and turn it, the alarm starts going off and now the car is of course imobilized :roll:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm wondering if unlocking the trunk with the key would solve this problem. I know a lot of non-VW models use that method as a solution. I lost my keyless entry fob and am awaiting a switchblade via eBay, so I can't test and say for sure. Someone give it a try!!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose if the microswitch has gone bad in the door, but is working correctly in the trunk, it may very well work doing it that way. I'll try it when I leave work today. I would still replace the accuator, but in the meantime, it may save me from :oops:

BTW, I called the dealer and they want $137.50 for the part :roll:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I had the same problem in my car, and still do. I was due for an oil change, so I decided to wait until it went in for that. Thank god for warranties! 136 bucks for that part!? I guess he wasn't lying when he said it's the ENTIRE latch assembly that has to be replaced, and not just the switch like in the trunk :shock:

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Ah man i know that embarrassing feeling :nervous: .

i had taken my friends Civic to the store to get some stuff. he has an alarm on there but its all messed up. well i press the remote to turn off the alarm and it wouldn't turn off. i sit there for a few and still no turning off. so then i press again and it turns off. i open the door and the alarm goes off. i sit there again for a few minutes trying to turn off the alarm and it :mad: wouldn't stop. everyone around me thought i was trying to steal the car and started to ask ?'s. i said no no no this is my friends car. well i get in the car and lucky me it didn't have starter kill. i turned the car on and started driving. the alarm was going off the whole time driving home. the house was only a few blocks down but still was sooooo embarassing :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JokerPassat said:
I know there's a write up on how to replace the actuator and you can get one much chepaer from a recycled parts yard or website. Check specialized german recycling for more info. If anyone has the write up please post it.
I called the only recycle place I know. They don't have any. They won't pull one off a door unless the door is smashed. I don't think I want it. I'm going to the dealer after work to pick it up. I called another dealer who is closer. They charge $130.95.

I might try it myself, but we'll see. Right now, I'm just getting the part.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the part from Princeton VW. They gave me 10% OFF. Whoopie :weirdo:

I think it ended up costing about $125

Now all I need is instructions on taking the door off :suspicio:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.