Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm gonna change the brake fluid to ATE 200, but do i need to do a complete flush of the dot 4 first? and if so, how do i do that?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i just got the answer to this question. It seems like eventhough the color is the same, the old brake fluid should be cloudy compaired to new. the sugestions was to pick up a motive powerbleeder, do a google search and u should find it. put the new brake fluid in the powerbleeder and then pressurize. then go to right rear and open bleeder screw till you see the new stuff comin out, then go to right left, then front right, then front left. if you have a manual then bleed the clutch to get all mew fluid in the car. i was told that it is not nessisary to flush the sstem with air, then add the new stuff, just pushing the old out with the new is good enough.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is there something wrong with the ATE blue brake fluid? I just ordered some and need to know if it going to be a problem. Also, is 1 litre enough?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
no, but i dont want a hassle if i take my car in for service and the guy seems blue brake fluid and says VOID WARRENTY. this fluid should not void anything becuase it is DOT4 approved, but i just dont want the hassle, so i got the same stuff basically ATE type200, same boiling point, just not blue

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much fluid is required to bleed the system? Car is a 2003 variant with Tip.

·
Registered
329 Posts
One of those Big bottles. A liter I think is all that is neccessary. As I think Jeff was trying to say. Start at the Passagers Rear, go to Drivers Rear, Passanger Front and then Driver front.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I thought 2 liters. The Bentley says you will get .5 liters out of each rear, plus some out of the front.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ganseg said:
I thought 2 liters. The Bentley says you will get .5 liters out of each rear, plus some out of the front.
hope you're right cuz i bought 2 liters of ate 200.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah it's the Big bottle..... I don't recall what size that is off the top of my head. The bottle is in my garage which is about 800 miles away right now... :) Sorry.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The ate blue stuff has been linked to squeaky clutches, so I hope you have an automatic.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
You should use 2 litres just to be safe!

There's no difference between ATE Type-200 and ATE Super Blue brake fluid other than color.

Now in Virginia we get our cars inspected once a year. My old Passat that ran a Stoptech Brake Kit up front failed inspection because I was running Super Blue. I informed the technician that the fluid is USDOT certified, but he failed the car anyway.. I then returned to the inspection station the next day and showed the technician the bottle which clearly has a DOT sticker on the side. Some dealerships will also trip-out if you use Super Blue, so that's why I stuck with Type-200.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not_too_shabby said:
The ate blue stuff has been linked to squeaky clutches, so I hope you have an automatic.
does the ate 200 also cause squeaky clutch? i have an auto, but just kinda curious.

·
Registered
329 Posts
"not_too_shabby wrote:

Who wants to touch this one....... :eek:h:

Please explain how ate blue stuff BRAKE FLUID would give you a squeeky clutch.... I'm dieing to know..... :lol:

Unless this is a joke then its kinda funny...

Cheers
Ryan

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The clutch shares the same fluid as your brakes... As far as causing the squeaky clutch, I read that more than once. Whether it's true or not I can't say.

here is a link to somebody complaining about it

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1258746

1 - 20 of 21 Posts