Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to Southern Orange County here and expect to be doing some work on my B5 in the near future. I seem to remember seeing some posts on here before about "good" dealers for service and a couple to seriously avoid. I tried to re-locate those posts but search wasn't helpful. Can anyone please give me the scoop on local dealers' service reputations? I seem to remember McKenna was a thumbs down and Capistrano was a thumbs up?

Also have been considering a chip upgrade for some time but have not looked into any new products lately. Anyone give me the scoop on the best all around chip that could be installed locally to SoCal? I no longer have the tools or a good place to do much work on the car myself.

Last but not least I know I'm going to be looking at replacing the struts/shocks soon enough and was looking for advice on those as well. Now that I am living amongst the hills and twisties of SoCal versus the flat straight boreways of Florida I would like to have the car up to snuff and refreshed to enjoy driving more again. The shocks are original (73k miles) and the car is starting to ride like an old stagecoach, so I know they're probably at their useful life.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Would be cool to hook up with a GTG here as well if there is one ongoing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
For tires: Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel (5 freeway, and Crown valley parkway)... You'll be hard pressed to find a place with cheaper prices! Great service/people!
For Suspension: Forgot the name, but there is a suspension place in the same complex, have had them do 3 of my suspension installs/allighns, etc...
Hope these might help you in the future!
-Ryan :)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Ahhh, Rancho Santa Margarita. Planned community. best small town to live in...how do you like it so far?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, any and all is appreciated :)

RSM is a nice place, just getting used to it after living in a less remote area. I hear the summers are pretty hot though so check back with me in a few months.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has anyone brought their car into Capistrano VW with a chip? I currently lost one of my coil packs and they replaced it under warranty but the CEL did not go off. My wife brought it back in and they said it was the ECM and asked if it was chipped...My wife quickly responded with no :nervous:

They went ahead and ordered the new ECM but I am afraid to take it in to tell them that it is in fact chipped.....Any suggestions and or experiences with Capistrano VW on chips?

Bigmike

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Capo is cool with Chips IIRC.

BlackMagic2K.....I live in MV...and have a '99 Beater Black Magic (gets me to Long Beach everyday the last 5 yrs) that I'm slowy doing work on. (over 100k now)

Been here 10yrs. If there's anything I can help with let me know. Capo rocks. (McKenna big thumbs down!) Also in HB is a great shop that does great work for a lot less. (had him do my Timing Belt, etc..)

www.vwspecialties.com An ex Rally driver (Audis) runs the little shop and does great work, many here have used him.

PM me and I'll give you my private email.

About to do all the control arms, tires, springs, shocks soon..before the ALMS round at Laguna next month!

Welcome to behind the Orange Curtain! :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Ron at VW Specialties. Top notch work, very honest and easy to deal with!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
julianfang
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing