Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend we put A8 discs on a 2003 B5.5 and replaced the stock setup on a 2002 B5.5 4Motion. We noticed that the shileds on the 2002 car wrapped round the disk whereas those on the 2003 go the opposite way. This picture shows the A8 discs on the 2003. We didn't touch the shields on either car, this is the way the 2003 came from the factory.

So have the parts been modified or does this mean left and right are swapped?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I the sheilds on the later cars like on the w8 go the other way so maybe this is for the later version because if memory serves me right the earlier shield on the 2001 does not cover the rotor face as much as the one in the picture.

do me a favor and get me the part number off the 2003 I would like to get those shields they look like they cover more.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just to add to the confusion ...
I installed the ECS A8 2 piece BBK and decided to put splash shields at the same time on my 99 1.8T RHD B5.
My splash shield looks smaller and opposite to the pic above and I always thought it looked wrong.
The rear brake splash shield looks like above and it makes more sense to me since overlapping over a vented rotor is going to impede heat dissipation.
The parts I used were 8D0 615 311 G and 312 G which are for 312mm rotors for 1999 thru to 2003 according to my ETKA

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You want the part numbers off my splash shields? When I had the whole lot lying on the floor that would have been easy, but right now that's a lot of work. If I needed the numbers myself I'd call the dealer.

The A8 discs make a significant difference, but of course with the change to Axxis Ultimates who knows which actually did the most. When they were first on I was sure I was going to change to Brembo or Porsche next year, now I'm not so sure. With a few hundred miles on the system it's seeming a lot stronger. The stock pads and discs gave no noticeable dust, these do, but that may have been due to the bedding in phase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.