Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, normally, it's ok, but when i'm driving 40+ MPH, and hit the gas hard, i hear a "thud" before it drops into the lower gear. i don't have this problem during normal driving, or when accellerating at lower speeds. is this normal?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I dont have this problem at all...as a matter of fact, I dont really feel the difference with my tip chip installed. The only time it might be a little faster is at WOT. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont know dude!

I think it would be your engine mount or something cuz i used to have the same prob win i floored it and the turbo spooled up when it kicked in i heard a thud too. Its prob your mount man... :sad:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the strange thing is i didn't have this problem before i got the tip chip and ecu chip. and it only happens at higher speeds. well, i'll try to swap back to the stock chip, and if that doesn't work, then i'll do the snub mount.

is there a write-up for doing the snub mounts?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The problem is 2 fold:

The ecu chip creates a lot more torque, the tip chip changes the speed and clamping pressure in the tranny, these changes will throw the motor around a lot more.

I had the same symptoms, I recently upgraded my motor mounts to V6 mounts and did new tranny mounts as well, I also have an APR snub mount to boot.

There is still some "slack" but it is nicely muted and not abrupt at all. The clincher is to get a DTS from AWE or Autospeed, my buddy has it and it makes a big diff. I don't know if will clear my 2.5 dp, the tranny is VERY close as it is now. :suspicio:

TJ

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, how easy is it to change the motor and tranny mounts? is there some kind of a write-up on this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
------TJ------
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing