Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i checked under my car today, and i noticed that the tip tranny pan has some damage due to scraping. in fact, the scraping was not limited to the tranny pan:

but anyway, is there an easy fix? and should i be worried about it failing? i'd rather not spend $$$ on a new pan + gasket + ATF if i don't have to.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pass-variant said:
What's to fix? Just a little scrape... As long as it isn't leaking your OK.
well, maybe i'm just a little paranoid, but i don't want to have the tranny pan burst open later when it gets scraped again in the future. am i just over worried?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey... Make a belly pan, and get it re-inforced. I had the same problem with mine, then i finally took it out, when i hit a man hole here in queens that was about 4 inches of the ground. you can say i did the fast and furious jump! Um.. try and make a skid plate is my best advise or you'll be reading the threads about how to put in tip tranny fluid, and what fluid to use ! As you can see i went thru all of this and i'm running the Redline ATF D4 fluid, my car is better than ever..

Nick :p

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey man, been through this a few times, usually when this happens you have busted your oil pan since it is lower then your tranny pan, your damage is nothing big, the first time this happened to me it was much bigger, I took it to the dealer they said nothing was wrong. The second time I busted the oil pan, nothing big because the engine takes the inpact from the snub mounts, but it cost me $590 at the dealer. The third time I was not too lucky, I had the Orginal Chase Bar on, I hit a bump it pushed into my tranny and cut it right open, infact it pushed it up so hard it busted the tranny, and the mounts, the oil pan was fine. It was $7900 in damge, the insurance covered and paid for it.

If your still under power train warranty, make sure you have the dealer check it, because if you have any future tranny problems, they will blame it on that little tinny damage you have!

My suggestion over anything is if your car is lowered or on its stock Cadi like suspension watch out for the streets, steal pans will only take so much.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
If your still under power train warranty, make sure you have the dealer check it, because if you have any future tranny problems, they will blame it on that little tinny damage you have!
Excellent advice. Just get them to record the fact that it's scraped, and nothing is wrong... you don't expect them to fix it. That way if you're unlucky enough to have tranny problems in the future they can't say it was because of the strike 'way back when'.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alex310 said:
Hey man, been through this a few times, usually when this happens you have busted your oil pan since it is lower then your tranny pan, your damage is nothing big, the first time this happened to me it was much bigger, I took it to the dealer they said nothing was wrong. The second time I busted the oil pan, nothing big because the engine takes the inpact from the snub mounts, but it cost me $590 at the dealer. The third time I was not too lucky, I had the Orginal Chase Bar on, I hit a bump it pushed into my tranny and cut it right open, infact it pushed it up so hard it busted the tranny, and the mounts, the oil pan was fine. It was $7900 in damge, the insurance covered and paid for it.

My suggestion over anything is if your car is lowered or on its stock Cadi like suspension watch out for the streets, steal pans will only take so much.
well, i have the neuspeed sofsport springs and a chas bar. hopefully, the same thing doesn't happen to me. i'll take it to the dealer and have them note it, though i only have another 17k on the CPO warranty, which is longer than the powertrain, since i bought mine used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing