Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have been having some issues with my tranny bumping while down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and a minor bump from 2nd to 1st. I am going to go ahead and change out the snub mount (mine is disintegrating) and see if that helps matters any. I picked up an APR snub mount from NGP but I have been hearing conflicting things about vibration with that mount. I don't want much, if any vibration while idling...I live in DC, I idle A LOT! At the same time, i want a snub that will reduce any drive train movement. Should I go with the APR or just go to VW and get an OEM replacement?

Thanks in advance, any help would be beneficial!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
provided you install it using the common snub idle-then-tighten-down-basket install approach, the APR will vibrate a little after install then after a few miles quiet down to no vibration.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
If you REALLY want things to stop moving around:

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/gallery/awe_dts/index.cfm

:thumbup:
This is the truth. I've had the DTS for 100,000 miles but was changing the motor mounts and had a free snub to install, so what the hell. Fast forward, I had major problems doung the snub (bumper not off, not service position) and put my old, partially broken stock snub back in. No difference at all.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I have APR's snub mount and it definitely stiffens up the front end. No where near as much dive or pitching from the engine moving around when braking/accelerating. Only draw back is it causes a noticeable vibration on the front end from it being so stiff but you get used to that.

I give it a :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I was getting MAJOR vibration at first, but that was because it was done in the Winter and I think things were a bit too firm or not seated correctly. It got better. Even more strange, since installing the 17" wheels the vibrations have disappeared COMPLETELY.

Definitely worth doing, though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It will help if after you mount it you adjust the receiving bracket either all the way up or down, cat remember which. When you have the car in gear, at idle, with a auto, there is a little movement in the engine because of braking. If you have a manual it should be as easy as moving the mount to where it is centered. If your motor mounts are shot also, I think it will vibrate not matter what.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
There might be some extra vibration, but thats because the snub will be resting on the cradle that is mounted to the motor. A common word of advice is to shave down one part of it so it clears the cradle no problem.

I had minor vibrations when I installed my APR snub, I used a vag-com to raise the idle a few rpm, and the vibrations went away.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts