Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all its been awhile. Sadly two weeks ago I was hit by a 16 year old driving to fast in rainy conditions. Insurance company totalled the car, due to the next to nothing value of the B5. I have started the tear down and rebuild. My snub mount completely split in half due to the front damage and it needs to be replaced, I have the front bumper completely removed, anyone know what the next step is? I've looked online for videos and they all blow. It's a 2000 b5 Passat wagon. A good video or good write up with pictures would be great! My mechanic said it was a 30 minute fix!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
You might want to go ahead with a full lock carrier service positioning or even removal, to check for and correct any other damage, particularly if you are due for timing belt, etc. A B5 wagon is definitely something to fix and keep -- I consider them irreplaceable.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,614 Posts
You might want to go ahead with a full lock carrier service positioning or even removal, to check for and correct any other damage, particularly if you are due for timing belt, etc. A B5 wagon is definitely something to fix and keep -- I consider them irreplaceable.
Yes that's a good idea. If you're already in service position why not replacing the TB and WP.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input guys this is great! I know the timing belt has maybe 20k on it, it was changed with the new motor. I'm not framiliar with the term WP though

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures show what I've done so far, as far as I can tell, I lucked out, as of right new I need two new front impact absorbers, and a new front bumper support, new bumper cover, grilles, headlights, and both genders were bend pretty good. This picture was after I beat them in with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Water pump, that I don't know, but if your recommending replacing it, I'll go ahead and take care of it. Insurance gave me 2,700 for the car so that's my budget.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
With a short enough allen wrench, there is no need for service position to replace the snub mount on a V6.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
So I was able to replace the Snub mount (Almost) without putting it into the service position.

Took some time and finagling and I did have to cut a hex bit short and then use a wrench on that to be able to fit in to the bolt and remove/replace.

My issue is that I can not get the top hex bolt back in. The new Snub is totally in the way as it was on the lower one but I was able to get that one in. With a little force and prying.

My question is how do you get this last top hex bolt in?? Is there a trick, can I use a shorter bolt??

·
Registered
926 Posts
My question is how do you get this last top hex bolt in?? Is there a trick, can I use a shorter bolt??
I've never done this job, but I remember reading that while you have the snub mount in your hand, you insert the top bolt through the snub mount and then slide the snub mount into position.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
dbrick

That might work but to make things easier I went to Home Depot and got a shorter bolt and it worked :bowdown:

There isn't a lot of room to work on the 2001 V6 but I'm testament that the car Does Not need to be put in the service position for this like PZ and a few others mentioned.

Had I had what I needed I would have been able to do this in less than an hr being it my 1st time.

Now to replace my motor and transmission mounts :lol:

·
Registered
926 Posts
dbrick

That might work but to make things easier I went to Home Depot and got a shorter bolt and it worked.
Glad you got it back together.

Be aware, however, that compared to the longer, original bolt, a shorter bolt will engage fewer threads in whatever the bolt screws into. This will reduce the strength of the connection between the snub mount and whatever it's bolted to. I'm not an ME, and don't have any idea if the reduction might be significant or not.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Idbrick

I totally get what you're saying and I took that into consideration big time. The new bolt wasn't much shorter the original so I'm thinking I should be ok but thanks for your input. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts