Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

So I have a weird clunk when shifting through lower gears on my 2000 B5 ATQ manual transm. I thought it might be a mount but I replaced them about a year and half ago or maybe two years ago. Anyway, I've checked the side mounts and they look fine. I have a hard time seeing the snub mount, but I casually looked at it when I did the timing belt a few months ago and it looked ok as far as I remember.

Anyway the clunk is starting to make me crazy, so I researched it here on PW. Most likely culprit is the mounts. So I did what people suggested. Put car in 1st. Parking Brake off. Rock the car back and forward. When I do this the engine clearly moves up and down at the front. It is hard for me to say how much, but I can see it do that. But I think the snub mount is designed for that to happen am I not correct? I mean it floats in a cavity behind the radiator so it must mean there is some movement?

My question is how much movement is normal? And can a snub mount be bad without it outwardly appearing to be bad?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes sir, I had the same issue on my V6, replaced the snub mount and problem fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had a thought about this. I wonder whether, when I did the Timing Belt and had the car in the service position, when I put it back, the cavity that surrounds the rubber moved. I was watching a video of someone replacing a snub mount and he said to leave the bracket loose, start the engine and then tighten it up after the engine "settled". Anyway, my point is whether I should loosen the bracket, turn the car on and then after turning it off, tighten it up again?

It still begs the question as to how much the engine should move up and down at the front when in gear, off and rocked back and forth. When I rock the car back and forth the front of the engine lifts between 1/2" to 1" maybe. Not alot but noticeably.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
Unless the bracket itself is loose, a properly functioning snub mount will limit the amount the engine can rock. These do go bad with age and use, as do all rubber parts (particularly on VW/Audi cars, in my experience). I consider a snub mount replacement to be part of a timing belt job.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I consider a snub mount replacement to be part of a timing belt job.

Thanks John. You're probably correct but in my case there is no correlation between the timing belt and the snub mount age-wise. I replaced the snub mount only about a year- year and a half before the timing belt. It is still pretty new.

How much should the engine rock when being tested?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts