Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of replacing my Snub and read somewhere here that another person positions it slightly high and center. To reduce the engine movement even more upon acceleration.

Is this acceptable or am I best to simply center it like others have done?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I somehow cross threaded 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the one of snub brackets (the one that mounts to the radiator support. The 3 nuts seem to float inside the rad support so it was a pain to line the bolts up correctly. I was able to get one bolt in like normal. I left one out and the other I used a spacer so I could get it tight without having to use all the threads and risk breaking the nut free from whatever it's attached to.

My questions are...

Are the 2 bolts sufficient to hold that bracket? I know not ideal but.....

How are those 3 nuts mounted in the rad support and why do they seem to float?

If I eventually put the front into service position. Will I be able to replace the cross threaded nuts?

Leave it as is and hope for the best?

Spot weld the bracket and not worry about the bolts?

Thank you for any and all thoughts and replies

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on this.

The VW Tech seems to think that the bolts are attached to a bracket which is then attached to the rad support and somehow it all came loose. He didn't see a reason why 2 bolts won't be sufficient but to keep an eye on it. If it doesn't hold he agreed that two spot welds will hold the bracket in place and could be ground off if I ever need to replace the snub again.

I could put it in service position if I don't want to spot weld it but I have had that bumper cover off too many times that a plastic clip somewhere always seems to break so I'm leaving it alone till I really have to put it in service position

1 - 4 of 4 Posts