Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im replacing the flex pipes and motor and tranny mounts on my 04 VW Passat v6 30V ATQ Tiptonic. I have taken the cats off from the flex pipes to the band clamps. The oxygen sensor's where a pain in the ass to get routed through.
I noticed that the plate that is suppose to be in front of the snub mount is not there. this car has been wrecked so it was probably never put back on. http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/337889-how-align-engine-center-snub-mount.html this is the plate im talking about. the one infront of the snub mount. where can I purchase it? also any good threads on replacing the engine and tranny mounts? I keep finding the same damn threads with no pictures. thanks fellas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buy from 034 Motorsports. Their snub mount comes with the plate. I got all 5 of my mounts from there and they are pretty good!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I understand what the plates purpose is now, but I do have one more question, I found a nice write up but the pictures where gone. Which mounts should I do first out all 5? the tranny mounts first or motor mounts first? I don't want to do things out of order. thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found when replacing the transmission mounts that the cast aluminum bracket holding the transmission is broken. I think I might have done this while taking both motor mounts off at the same time. I did not know that I should of done one at a time. Please if anyone has any information for me or any tips, please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I replaced mine (I used Sterns mounts motor & tranny, 034 snub and bracket) I started with the motor mounts first, doing one side then the other. I used a jack to lift/support the engine (with a block of wood to protect the oil pan and distribute the weight). Then I moved on to the tranny mounts. They were considerably easier compared to the motor mounts. I haven't done the snub mount yet b/c mine is still in fairly good shape. The bracket that the snub fits into (on the bumper) is held on with regular bolts but the bracket that the snub sits on (on the engine) is held in with Allen head bolts. You will need to either put the front end into service position to allow enough clearance to access those bolts or modify an Allen wrench to fit in the small space. I've read about some who replaced the Allen head bolts with regular hex bolts. You will want to use a jack under the engine also for the snub to center it in the mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts