Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I’m new here and I own a 2004 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T FWD Automatic sedan and I need your guys help. So as the title mentions I’m either having an issue as of where I shift into gear like park to drive I can feel the car shift and shudders a tad. Not much but it can be felt. Now the question is is there a definite answer to this? Is there different symptoms between the snub mount and transmission mount? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
It could be either, but the snub mount tends to fall apart and can cause more of a clunk noise. If the trans mounts are original and have over 100K, I expect they are bad. The snub is visible from below, but the trans mounts have a metal plate underneath that blocks the view of the rubber.

Reactions: DERK.B5.Passat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be either, but the snub mount tends to fall apart and can cause more of a clunk noise. If the trans mounts are original and have over 100K, I expect they are bad. The snub is visible from below, but the trans mounts have a metal plate underneath that blocks the view of the rubber.
Do you have diagram of where the snub mount is at?

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Just below the crank pulley. Here is a pic with the front removed:

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the bad snub mount aren't you going to feel some pretty rough shifts as well?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello everybody! I’m new here and I own a 2004 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T FWD Automatic sedan and I need your guys help. So as the title mentions I’m either having an issue as of where I shift into gear like park to drive I can feel the car shift and shudders a tad. Not much but it can be felt. Now the question is is there a definite answer to this? Is there different symptoms between the snub mount and transmission mount? Thanks guys!
So It for sure doesnt sound/feel like its mechanical (i.e. solenoid)??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So It for sure doesnt sound/feel like its mechanical (i.e. solenoid)??
There’s no clunking while shifting, I had the transmission replaced at 190,000 miles with a 70,000 mile transmission. It feels the exact same with the two transmissions. So I’m pretty sure it’s not a sloenoid.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Bad mounts might not even be noticed by an easy going driver. I know my 4Mo was not noticeable with the bad trans mounts until I swapped in the manual trans. Then I could see the shifter move with the throttle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bad mounts might not even be noticed by an easy going driver. I know my 4Mo was not noticeable with the bad trans mounts until I swapped in the manual trans. Then I could see the shifter move with the throttle.
If only if I could put video on here for you guys. It’s a lot easier to explain it that way.

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
The snub looks old, but it has not failed.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
The snub looks old, but it has not failed.
I concur. I like the older style rubber ones better.

That said, it's not hard to replace the trans mounts with a jack and some jack stands. They are pretty cheap, too. interesting that you didn't replace the trans mounts when replacing the transmission (unless you did).

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I concur. I like the older style rubber ones better.

That said, it's not hard to replace the trans mounts with a jack and some jack stands. They are pretty cheap, too. interesting that you didn't replace the trans mounts when replacing the transmission (unless you did).
I wasn’t the one who did all the work. I’m like a beginner at working on cars. The dealership where I work at didn’t say anything about needing transmission mounts but I’ve held onto this car for 3 years now and I figure it’s time to figure out what needs replacing.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Looks like motor mounts need replacing too.
The engine floats like a boat in the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts