Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about the 39 deg F snowflake, but my 2003 Variant also chimes and flashes if the tempretaure falls below 23 deg F while I'm driving. I've seen this three times now, so I know I'm not imagining it. My wife's 2001 doesn't do anything special at 23 deg.

I looked in the manual and didn't see anything about a 23 deg F announcement, but I have to admit that I was rushing a bit and didn't really go over it carefully.

So, curious as always, does anyone know why 23 degrees is signiifcant?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get the chime at 23° F too. Based on my experience it seems to happen when the temperature hits 23° F on the way up, not when the temp is decreasing.

I have absolutely no idea what the significance of this temperature is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
AG20v said:
I get the chime at 23° F too. Based on my experience it seems to happen when the temperature hits 23° F on the way up, not when the temp is decreasing.

I think the idea is that ice is wet and thus slippery between 23-39F. Or rather, at over 39F you probably experience icing and below 23F the ice is dry and presents a large enough coefficent of friction that your tires will grip fairly well.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
zeitgeist said:
AG20v said:

I think the idea is that ice is wet and thus slippery between 23-39F. Or rather, at over 39F you probably experience icing and below 23F the ice is dry and presents a large enough coefficent of friction that your tires will grip fairly well.
^^^the above is correct.

it's not the ice itself that is slippery, but rather a very, very thin layer of water that sits atop ice between those temps.
the water between ice and say...a tire, or a shoe, makes it slippery in the same way oil makes two pieces of metal "slippery". (think motor oil)
it's not as bad below the 23° mark because a lot more of that water stays frozen.

-Harry

·
Registered
859 Posts
You all crack me up - it's like the snowflake is an anomoly to you. The coldest I saw on the temp gauge this winter was -25(F). Come to the land of the ice and snow..... :shock:

Someone said it above - the chime comes on when the temp drops below 39 and above or below 23. It hasn't been above 39 here since sometime in November....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm properly shamed. Thanks for the manual references. I looked (again) in the manual, and there it was. Given the radiation physics of roadways and the convective transfers that occur on bridges, the temperature range between 23 and 39 provides the slipperiest driving conditions if there's ice or snow present.

Now, y'all (I *am* in Oklahoma) need to know that I put my baby in the garage at night, and while it isn't directly heated, almost always stays at or above freezing. Also, y'all need to know that 15 deg F is pretty darned cold in this part of the Sooner state. With that in mind, I almost always start my commute with a redaing of around 30-something deg F.

I never noticed the much-discussed snowflake vanishing when the temperature dropped below 23, even though I've seen the display down to a chille (again for Oklahoma) 8 deg F. But today, for the first time, I started the car with am ambient temperature of 22 after dropping the kids off at day care. Lo! And Behold! No snowflake and no chime. When the temperature climbed to 23, I was appropriately notified.

Thanks again to all who responded. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
klelmore
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing