Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, all of you snow hounds: Am looking for a set of emergency chains for use in extreme weather ... icy conditions or snow in the mountain passes, whenever chains are required for all vehicles.

Car is a 2001 Passat V6 4Motion/Tiptronic and tires are Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3. This should be enough for all but the worst of winter weather.

Suggestions for maximum grip that have even a minor bit of ride quality? (Yeah, I know ... pie in the sky.)

- Michael

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
No chains here in Maine. They just let us drive all over the place with RWD and summer tires! Sorry I can't help you with that.

I've used various chains and cables in California, and they all work well, especially since you have to drive so slowly with them due to the noise and rougher ride.

You'll be very safe with 4Motion and those snow tires. Traction should be very good. I think it is mainly the state being very conservative since you don't get that much snow all the time.

I read in the Bentley that chaines are only for the 6" wide rims, not the 7" wide ones. May be an issue with the chains not having enough clearance. You may want to check on this before actually installing chains so no damage occurs.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Michael, You should be good with those tires and 4MO. Check your manual on wht it says for chains. Go get some from Les Schwab, keep the reciept and if you don't use them you can take them back after snow season for a full refund.
I think with the 4MO and snow tires you should be able to get past the checkpoints at chain up areas. Might want to check the Or state law on this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BKVR6 said:
I think with the 4MO and snow tires you should be able to get past the checkpoints at chain up areas.
Yeah, the 4Mo plus these tires should get me where I need to go. But, this is Oregon. The chain law is fairly blunt: "if we indicate chains are required ... they're required."

Anyway. I decided on a low-profile set of cable chains. While this will be less grip than "diamond" chains, it will fit in the wheel well without risk of damage to the car. I've had cables before, and a friend with a Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon has them. Can't imagine that the grip I've experienced with these would fail to be enough in weather I'd travel in. Frankly, if the weather's bad enough for all of that (4Mo, Dunlop SP/WS M3, chains), then I am doing something wrong. :crazy:

Thanks for the help, all.

- Michael

-------------------------------------
2001 Passat GLX V6 4Motion/AWD
Tiptronic auto/manual

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You can use chains on the front tires of a 4mo if it is necassary. If you have ESP then you need to be sure to turn it off if you put chains on.

I have made it through 3 heavy storms in the Sierra Nevadas with my 4mo on all-seasons, even went through a couple chain checks. The chain law is pretty strict here in California too but they let me through when I told them my car was AWD, even though they didn't believe me. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts