Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, the anguish of SPCN's is finally over. As of late this morning, I have officially registered FFR 4883.

The morning was filled with nervous anticipation of the Lamp Inspector. I've complied to what he indicated, were the only items to get the certificate: hi-beam indicator, on-off switch for the high-beam, and TWO backup lamps, one on each side of the rear of the car. If you followed my last thread, you know I did all this.

I got there early but the guy was 30 minutes late! Already I was feeling quesey of another day wasted in limbo. But within 10 minutes, he handed me my certificate; I did pay another $20 for the "retest" but at that point, I just wanted to get out of there!

I dropped my car off at home and immediately went to the DMV. The gal there took all my papers; she did want all the receipts that added up to the car's final total (which was used to calculate the tax and reg. fee's). I showed her the spreadsheet I had patterned from another memeber which itemized everything up to Jan 3rd off 2006. Then I showed her the 1.5" thick pile of reciepts. She went with the 3 page spreadsheet! I am so glad I made up that spreadsheet!!!!

I did mess up a little when she was just about all done and I told her about my personalized plates. So she had to undo a few screens on her computer and removed the original plates and put the personalized one's on. Somehow, the computer cost of the 2007/2008 registration was $1 lower than the check I issued to her. She gave me $1 change which I thought was kinda cool.

Finally, I get my plates in hand and head over to the sticker window to get my stickers for the plates, and my temporary 'pink slip'.

I rushed home with a giddyness I haven't had since the end of September when I drove around the car in the new paint.

I spent the next 30 minutes removing the backup lamps and reattached my mini-cooper lamp. (see my journal on the temporary backup lamps.)

After the lamps were removed, I just wanted to drive... so I took my camera and headed up into the Saratoga hills. I stopped at the reservoir across from the Sunnyvale Rod & Gun club/range and snapped a few photos. There were a few truckers there giving me a thumbs up as I was taking pictures.

For the most part, this is probably the last major milestone for this car. NO, it's not "done" but I think it's done enough to drive on any given day.

Enjoy the photo's and as always Chris, I suck.

Project: SNKVNNM

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
That's badd ass dude! glad to see all that hard work has paid off!! beautiful car!!

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
yay for you Herman.
good luck and many years of happiness with it!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Been fun watching this from its inception.

Kudos to you.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
loved reading thru the spreadsheet data!
I'm still sooooooooo jealous. how about a cross country trip to christen it? :beer:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
U DA MAN HERMAN! Great job! :thumbup:
Have :drink: & :beer: on me!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats. Do I recall the original plan being a 5 year voyage? Thought not...
Heh, you AND my wife thought the same thing... After year 2 I was getting on her nerves:

Wife: "why aren't you working on the Cobra?"
Me: "Well, I'm done."
Wife: " You're not done. You don't have the car yet?"
Me: The transmission is done, the rear end is done, and the engine is done, the pedals are done, the fuel tank is done. I can't do anymore until I order the car. I've gone as far as anyone can go without the kit."
"Now FFR IS having this sale and can save over $1,500."
Wife: " well, if it'll save you some money, go ahead then."

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
COTM (Cobra Of The Month?) ;)

Nice work, very nice.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
That is certainly quite an accomplishment. I love the photos and being able to follow along in the build process. After all the hard work you've put into it, I'd consider hiring a professional photographer to document it...get some nice enlargements matted together with a spec list and framed. It deserves a spot in the garage AND above the fireplace. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts