Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a complete set of Moog CA's installed. Now I am getting a pop/snap that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side, almost like it's coming from behind the dash. The shop checked everything for tightness and can't figure out what it is. It only happens when I let off the throttle and happens at slow or moderate speeds very consistantly. Sometimes it makes it when getting on the throttle but I might be hearing things.
Any ideas what it could be...Tie Rod's are new but replaced a couple months ago. The alignment was also slightly off after the CA install also. I have to keep the wheel to the right to go straight, but just barely.

Thanks!
00 V6 70K OEM spring/shocks Manny Tranny

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Could be a noisy CV joint. I hear the same thing on my car, and I really need to get around to investigating it. I'm quite sure it's not a broken DV, because I just replaced mine with a HyperBoost.

·
Registered
27,585 Posts
I would double check the rear subframe mounts. They are right by the passengers footwell.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PZ I think I already checked those. One 18mm I believe, then two ones that are smaller, 13mm or so. I also checked all of the mounting bolts around where the motor mount sits, I think that probably the front subframe bolts.

Could they have somehow knocked something loose with the shock strut assembly. Like the upper shock bolt? I don't know why they would have touched any of that however.

8,184 Posts
I would check the three 18mm bolts that hold the whole strut set up....then I would check the 2 13mm upper strut mount plate bolts and make sure all the CA bolts are Tq and good. the sub frame bolts....I don't think thats it. It could also be that dam shock bolt on the top...if they just zapped it with an air gun....thats to loose and need to be tq more

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was at the shop today, I don't know what they are checking, but they were talking about adjusting the position of the snub mount becuase they think that my motor is moving around too much, causing the exhaust to make noise. I really don't think that is the issue, but we'll see.

2 Upper strut mount plate bolts or shock bolt are my thoughts, but I don't know why they would have touched either. Maybe the 2 upper strut bolts, but why the shock bolt??

Since there was no sound before taking it in...I don't know why it would be the motor mount or anything else.

·
Registered
27,585 Posts
No reason to touch the shock bolt. It should be taken out as 1 peice, they may have removed the shock from the upper control arm mount plate for more clearance. You could pull the plastic plugs and check those bolts.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to them and they haven't dropped the shock assembly yet. Told them to check the 2 13mm nuts. They ordered new sway bar bushings...not sure what that's going to do.

Do you think they could of loosened up the top shock bolt by air hammering away on the CA bolts? That seems plausable. I didn't tell them to do that, but I would hope they would check.

8,184 Posts
Opps sorry I didn't read it all the way...yeah they wouldn't have touched the shock bolt...what thinking you changed them too:lol: It could be that frame bolt you need to lossen to get the LCA out. Hell we snapped another members off retq them to spec after we swaped his control arms out (lower)

8,184 Posts
I talked to them and they haven't dropped the shock assembly yet. Told them to check the 2 13mm nuts. They ordered new sway bar bushings...not sure what that's going to do.

Do you think they could of loosened up the top shock bolt by air hammering away on the CA bolts? That seems plausable. I didn't tell them to do that, but I would hope they would check.

Wow air hammering the CA...that doesn't sound good at all. they should have just drilled it out, you would have new bolts with your kit. That could jar a few things loose. as for the sway bars....they should have changed them too at the same time and can come loose during the LCA. but you wouldn't feel it that far back

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sway bar links were changed...paid extra for that. Sway bar bushings are diff. Maybe they didn't use an air hammer, I should have said impact wrench. The shock assembly has never been dropped before they touched it.

8,184 Posts
Hmmm....its been awhile but I was thinking the bushings where in the sway bar links???? But the other bushings would do that at all. You know what I still think it the shock bolt....this is so much like bjones problems and we replaced everything on that car to find out it was that....and the wear it caused on upper strut mount plate was crazy.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Did they put the suspension in "curb weight position" before tightening the CA bolts?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The indicated they "loaded" the suspension before they tightened the bolts. The sway bar bushings are the not the links I assumed, since those are new. Rather they are the point where the sway bar attaches to the subframe. Just a split rubber piece. I don't think the problem lies with that either.

I don't know why they have not checked the upper spring plate...would have been my first guess.

What happens if the can't fix it...do THEY take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well they said they didn't have time for me this week anymore. One mechanic is sick and so is the owner. They rescheduled me for next Tuesday, said this wan't a safety issue. I have been very nice to them still, however frustrated I may be.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts