Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 b5 1.8t 896xx miles
I went and got my first oil change done scince owning the car today,i went to synthetic. When i came home i smelled something burning. (not the first time, but this was stonger) I pop the hood and there was a whiteish smoke coming out around or below behind the turbo area then it moved to the front of the trubo area. I dont see any visable leaks. Also after letting it cool down 5 minutes, i started it up again and let her idle, 5 minutes later the smoke was back but hardly noticable (kinda like steam coming off of a hot soup) This is really freaking me out. what could be down there that could be leaking, or was the mechanic really slopy

update: after she sat there for an hour i look under the car and there were 2 oil pools, one was about 2" by 2"the other 1" by 1" i drop the skid plate thing. A can't see where the oil originiats, but one is below the turbo, but the underside of the turbo is dry. the other is further back where i guess the transmission is.The oil pools are pretty clean oil, so i'm thinking the the synthetic oil is just too thin for the worn out seals on the car.

UPDATE+1
the smoke is coming out tof the same area as this guy's 1.8t
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199196
pic: pic

1 - 1 of 1 Posts