Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SMOC Side Mount Oil Cooler Install

After my FMIC install (yes, I owe a writeup, it's coming!) I finally decided to bite the bullet and do a SMOC - putting an oil cooler in the spot vacated by the SMIC. I've been wanting an oil cooler ever since I got the car http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21399 . Thanks to Electron Man for the idea to put it in the SMIC spot.

I'm sorry this writeup is not a complete step-by-step install, but I wanted to post the pics to give everyone an idea of how this could be done. I have no part numbers, as I cannibalized the whole setup from my '79 Scirocco. The kit was originally bought from Neuspeed in the early 80's and I paid somewhere between $139-$189 for it. No mfr name or part numbers on the sandwich plate or cooler. The cooler is pretty darn good - it's a stacked-plate design, about 8x11 inches, between 20 and 25 rows. The only things I had to buy were:

1) New SS-braid oil hose 5.33 ft @ $9.74 = $51.91 (worth the extra cost vs. ordering online because no shipping plus the dealer gave me a tutorial on attaching the end fittings).
2) New straight Aeroquip fitting to replace one of the elbows - AN816-10D #10MJIC - 1/2 MPT (the 'rocco setup had two elbows, but the Passat needs an elbow on the bottom and a straight on the top) $6.44
3) Two 5/8" bypass caps to cap off the unused coolant fittings - a buck or so.
4) "Shorty" threaded oil filter "union" (replaces the long fitting that goes through the OEM oil cooler) - VW part # 059-115-721, $1.26
5) New gasket for the sandwich plate. I took it to a local gasket shop, they measured it and stamped a new one out of silicone sheet for $2.

General Steps:

Take the coolant tank loose from its mountings, just like you do when you change the oil filter. Front bumper skin must be off - see Bentley or other (HermanH) writeups for this.

1) Remove factory oil cooler. You will spill coolant all over the place doing this, no matter how hard you try not to. Take off oil filter, remove hoses, drain, take cooler off.
- The timing of steps 2a-2c is your choice, just be sure it gets done before you re-start the car:
- 2a) Cap lower coolant fitting (I re-used the spring clamps, they were plenty stout)(I did this early to keep dirt out of lower fitting)
3) Replace the long threaded oil filter stud with the shorty one. Be ingenious in how you tighten it.
4) Install sandwich plate finger tight
5) Bend SMIC bracket, test-fit cooler and hoses 'till you get it right
6) Cut hose and install hose ends (this is a whole writeup in itself - surely there's some documentation on the web somewhere)
7) Install hoses onto cooler
8) Install cooler onto SMIC bracket
9) Install hoses onto sandwich plate
10) Tighten sandwich plate
11) Install oil filter
- 2b) Hold cap over upper fitting ready to slam it shut
- 2c) Refill slowly with coolant mix until it starts coming out of the upper fitting, then stop it with cap and secure (with re-used spring clamp or whatever)
12) Start, run, let warm up, watch like a hawk for leaks, pray that it doesn't.
13) Top off oil and coolant as necessary
14) Restore front bumper skin and coolant tank to their mountings. And did I mention you need a FMIC for this to work? :)

I twisted and bent the SMIC mount so that I could mount the oil cooler at the correct angle. Drilled two holes in the SMIC mount, and bolted the inside edge of the cooler to those two holes. If you look carefully at the pics, you can see the backside nuts. I made a third mount for the outside edge out of scrap aluminum from work - Chas would be proud! So it's a secure three-point mount.

I have the output from the sandwich plate going to the top fitting on the cooler - I figured I'd let gravity help the oil flow down through the cooler. I do not know if there is a "best" way.

The only thing I haven't done yet is protect the other hoses by encasing the SS oil lines with 1" ID heater hose. It's not rubbing on anything directly, but things shift over time so I might need to do this.

In deference to dial-up users, I am going to start posting pics as links, starting with this post.

http://home.comcast.net/~rragan7540/Passat/pics/SMOCfront.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rragan7540/Passat/pics/SMOCback.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rragan7540/Passat/pics/SMOCadapter.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rragan7540/Passat/pics/SMOCbracket.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~rragan7540/Passat/pics/SMOChose.jpg

Review? How well does it work? I don't know yet:
CRD99 said:
Rusty- How are the temps with the external oil cooler?
So far they are the same, but then normal driving isn't a problem temp-wise. The biggest surprise has been how fast the oil warms up - I expected it to warm up slower - I cannibalized this out of the 'rocco and the thermostat in the sandwich plate was stuck open. I cleaned it out by soaking in tranny fluid for several days, and I think it must be working now!

The true test will be track day at Second Creek Aug 20th. And even then it won't be the final test - as you can see from the pics, the SMOC is not shrouded. I suspect that I will need to modify and add the SMIC shroud to make this truly effective. But first I want to see how it performs unshrouded.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Rusty - is there anything left on your car that hasn't been removed, replaced or otherwise modified? :lol: :lol:

You truly are an innovator! :bow: :bow:

How much more oil does the system take with the cooler and associated plumbing?

Also - I noticed the orange hose - brake ducting?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Cool. 8)

Dumbass pun intended.

I've been thinking about doing this too as BOTH a solution to
not only more oil for the entire system (via Wix Big Kahuna filter),
but for cooling too. I generally drive pretty hard and the car
is chipped. My only big concern (fear?) is a drop in the oil pressure
which hasprevented me from doing this, that and not knowing waht size cooler to get for our 1.8T's. I'll be watching to see how well you fare.
So far you've already convinced me to use redline auto tranny
fluid on my upcoming tranny fluid change.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ameoba said:
Rusty - is there anything left on your car that hasn't been removed, replaced or otherwise modified? :lol: :lol:
Also - I noticed the orange hose - brake ducting?
Yup. Brake ducting - another thing I owe a writeup for. And eventually, I want to drill big holes in the front of the (now-unused because of FMIC) crossover pipe and attach my brake cooling hoses to the end fittings! :crazy:

ameoba said:
How much more oil does the system take with the cooler and associated plumbing?
About 2/3 of a quart.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colin said:
... My only big concern (fear?) is a drop in the oil pressure which has prevented me from doing this, that and not knowing what size cooler to get for our 1.8T's. ...
I wish I knew who made this cooler, I think it is a really good one. It was made in Canada, that's all I know. Zero pressure difference between this cooler and OEM. Same at cold idle (30 something psi), same at warm idle (17 psi), same at 80 mph cruise (66 psi).

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Omg. Cold idle is 30 psi? Damn New Mexicans. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.