Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I needed to post something because this apparently is the slowest forum for new topics.
So here it is.

The Smart Roadster. 698cc 3 cylinder turbo pushing 81 hp, placed mid/rear-engined (conflicting statements from them damn journalists). Unassisted steering. Around 1700 lbs. 0-60 in 11.2. Top speed, 112 mph. 48 mpg. Around $17k. :drool:
Its what the Lotus Elise and Mini Cooper S only wish they were.
Only downside? It only comes with a Tiptronic-like tranny.
Oh, not to mention it's not available in the US.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2002/paris/preview/smart-roadster/

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2002/paris/highlights/h15-smart-roadster.html

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/02HTA203920400.html

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (stealthx32)

It's cool, sleak, modern looking, cool. It went without saying that it wasn't avail in the US. LOL

Sure looks hella hot!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (jwilker)

Naturally...
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It went without saying that it wasn't avail in the US.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!!

Is this from the same folks who make that tall four-seater coupe that's about as long as a tandom bike? I saw those all around Europe and thought that they were really cool in a very quirky way. Geekishly cool (and I mean that in the best possible way)!

TGH

<![CDATA[Naturally...
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It went without saying that it wasn't avail in the US.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!!

Is this from the same folks who make that tall four-seater coupe that's about as long as a tandom bike? I saw those all around Europe and thought that they were really cool in a very quirky way. Geekishly cool (and I mean that in the best possible way)!

TGH

[Modified by ThosHrubecky, 1:15 AM 1/23/2003]

·
Registered
4,998 Posts

$17k? They would sell like hotcakes here

·
Registered
569 Posts

Damn US safty standards!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (bulliboy)

Welcome to 3 weeks ago! Just joshin' ya, Stealth. There was a posting about this vehicle a little while ago, with the article from Popular Science in it. Oh wait...I post that one!

It was within another thread though, someone's trip to London. Sorry, I forgot who it was. That is probably why people never noticed it before.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
Around 1700 lbs. 0-60 in 11.2. Top speed, 112 mph. 48 mpg. Around $17k. :drool:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming that when you made this statement above you were talking about price (when compared to the Elise) and weight (when compared to the MINI) and not 0-60 time.

I doubt that MINI and Lotus really drool over a 0-60 of 11.2

<![CDATA[<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
Around 1700 lbs. 0-60 in 11.2. Top speed, 112 mph. 48 mpg. Around $17k. :drool:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming that when you made this statement above you were talking about price (when compared to the Elise) and weight (when compared to the MINI) and not 0-60 time.

I doubt that MINI and Lotus really drool over a 0-60 of 11.2

[Modified by HalfGreek, 12:54 PM 1/23/2003]

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (HalfGreek)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>0-60 in 11.2. Top speed, 112 mph. 48 mpg. Around $17k<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a Golf TDI to me....

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (duandcc)

Except the extra 1200lbs, FWD, front engine..

Give me a RWD, mid-engined 1700lb golf and we'll talk

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (Macabre)

true...but what your saying is that with RWD, and much less weight, it can't go any faster or get any better fuel mileage and still costs the same?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ah, but it drives nothing like a Golf. Golf = economy car. Smart Roadster = a roadster with a true roadster spirit.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (Miraluka)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There was a posting about this vehicle a little while ago, with the article from Popular Science in it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, in fact that PS article was about 10 tech-smart cars that aren't available here.
It seems like we get all the SUVs though.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts

Like I said, show me a RWD, mid engined Golf that can do it and we'll talk. RWD doesn't make cars like these any quicker, just makes them more fun to drive. The RWD/mid-engined packaging is what's keeping the cost relatively high. I wish VW would offer us the same compromise!

·
Registered
145 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet. I saw an article in the German Autobild magazine http://www.autobild.de/suche/artikel.php?artikel_id=2993&A_SESS=a54fcd6a78163ec7c41eddd22609e773 , which states MB considers to bring the Smart product line to the US in 2004.

<![CDATA[<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet. I saw an article in the German Autobild magazine http://www.autobild.de/suche/artikel.php?artikel_id=2993&A_SESS=a54fcd6a78163ec7c41eddd22609e773 , which states MB considers to bring the Smart product line to the US in 2004.

[Modified by Berliner, 6:25 PM 1/23/2003]

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (Berliner)

Ditto, Berliner.

I've seen/heard a lot of buzz in the US press that this is likely going to hit US shores (especially since the success of the Mini Cooper).

This one is a lot more appealing to US consumers than the traditional Smart car, which I have to admit, I think is awesome
(and very tunable FWIW).

I wouldn't be surprised if it made it to the US, especially if the petroleum situation gets tighter

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Smart Roadster!!! (ashman78)

I hope the DOT bumpers and other safety standards don't add any bulk to it....

·
Registered
215 Posts

"roadster" LOL

<sniff> ...hmmm, smells like Del Sol

I am liking the full hatch version from the rear, but the front is a bit odd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts