Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why has VW made the Passats so slow? I find myself getting more and more unhappy with my car the more I drive it. I mean its been reliable but I get frusturated trying to pass slow traffic in this thing.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
If it's a 1.8T, throw in a chip, new injectors and a K04. I think that will quell your complains of slowness. If it's a V6 throw on a PES GII Supercharger. In the end the effects are the same.

Never thought I would say this but...if you wanted sheer quickness/speed you should have bought a stock SRT-4 or RSX Type-S for about the same money.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
S_Klass said:
Never thought I would say this but...if you wanted sheer quickness/speed you should have bought a stock SRT-4 or RSX Type-S for about the same money.
I don't think the RSX is that fast. Faster than a Passat, yes, but not near the SRT-4. If you're really looking for speed with good handling, the STi is a good choice.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
do some high speed driving on the freeway, when you find out that you can easily cruise at 110 compared to most cars, then you realize that its not so slow

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Ok. Unless you have some serious modding done to these cars, you're not really drag racing anyone. That aside, these are still great cars and I wouldn't necessarily think of them as slow. They just require a little more effort. I enjoy ripping my V6 to the redline every now and then...okay every time I drive. It all depends on what you do with it. I think it's more fun to rag on a less powerful car than be tortured to conform to traffic and roads in a more...motivated...vehicle.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
julianfang said:
two words: "family" sedan.
I agree with Julianfang and to add- if you want EU sporty family wagon/sedan you can opt for Audi S4,RS4,S6,RS6;BMW M5. But there is small issue of price.
B5 was never meant to be car for spirited driving.

·
Registered
258 Posts
152MPH is not slow in my opinion... :poke: You know they say "proof is in the pudding", once my summer tires are remounted that 15 second MPEG will follow. I am shooting for 160MPH.

I will have the Garmin with me to get a true speed recorded...

You may consider mine fairly modded however, I don't have a PES supercharger. ---yet :wink:

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
I wouldn't say my car is slow...
obviously...

but his question was...
Why has VW made the Passats so slow?
out of the box (or out of the dealership) - our car is intended to be a family sedan and not the beast that we've altered with turbo upgrades, chips, etc.

What we have done to our passats, 99% of most typical Passat owner DON'T do...

disclaimer: W8 is a foray into "stock sports sedan"

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It depends what slow or fast means. For the average European family, the Passat even with the non-turbo is adequate for their driving. They don't race from stop light to stop light like most Americans do. This cars cruise the autobahns effortlessly at 130-140 mph. Try doing that in your average Accord, Camry and Taurus and tell me if you feel safe at those speeds.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
powerslide23 said:
It depends what slow or fast means. For the average European family, the Passat even with the non-turbo is adequate for their driving. They don't race from stop light to stop light like most Americans do. This cars cruise the autobahns effortlessly at 130-140 mph. Try doing that in your average Accord, Camry and Taurus and tell me if you feel safe at those speeds.
Never mind 130, I've done sustained 90 in a Taurus for about an hour, and I was never so scared in my life! But airlines wait for no man....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Even the 1.8t Sedan stock is quicker, more nimble, more reliable and more refined than those household appliances people drive (Accord, Camry, Taurus etc)

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
What you mean by slow? ( off the line , top speed)
Slow compared to what?
what engine you have?

Don't start this bullshit thread without numbers or facts ok!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
This guy doesn't even seem interested in his own topic, I haven't seen a response from him yet. My comment is; I can only assume that you test drove that car before you bought it so why are you miffed at how it performs? Everyone brought up a really good point, what type of Passat do you have and did you do any mods yet to increase performance? Last thing is if the car is really starting to get you bothered by is sluggishness then maybe it's time to consider buying a different car. Maybe something like a camaro that is built like crap but has a lot of hp for the money. :lol:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
SeattleReign said:
maybe it's time to consider buying a different car. Maybe something like a camaro that is built like crap but has a lot of hp for the money. :lol:
Dude! Read my thread in the AA forum about me getting obliterated by a '02 LS1 Z28. Good times.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Spanky McGee said:
SeattleReign said:
maybe it's time to consider buying a different car. Maybe something like a camaro that is built like crap but has a lot of hp for the money. :lol:
Dude! Read my thread in the AA forum about me getting obliterated by a '02 LS1 Z28. Good times.
is it LS1 standard version of Camaro or is something like S or RS at Audi

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
What you mean by slow? ( off the line , top speed)
Slow compared to what?
what engine you have?

Don't start this bullshit thread without numbers or facts ok!

Obviously he was starting some shit. But honestly who here is running even 12's ?(which is still slow when people have streetable cars in the 10's streetable not street legal) IMO if you don' t like your passat sell it and get a crotch rocket. If I wanted to have a fast car I wouldn't have bought my passat but I am here cuz there a head turner :wink:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts