Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was changing the oil and checked oil after adding 6Q (2.8). It was at min. I added half a quart more and drive it around and checked and it's slightly over the cross hatch area to where it is just touching the orange plastic on the dipstick. I'm guessing I added about 200-300ml more than its capacity.

What should I do? If I should drain it what's the best way? Oil filter right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you are worried about it, just spin off the oil filter and dump out whats in it. That should get you back to about where you want to be.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
It will be fine. I have ran with that slight an overfill.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
its a V6, it will only be overfilled for a few days since they all leak oil anyway...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I over filled my 1.8 turbo and the oil light flashed at me until I let some out. It is my understanding that it gets foamy from the crank shaft when it is too high and does not flow right. Took a few miles after getting it right for the light to go out.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
its a V6, it will only be overfilled for a few days since they all leak oil anyway...
I keep reading about the leaky V6. Maybe I just lucked out on this one, but mine is leak-free going on 227,000 miles. I've never changed any seals, only the cam cover gaskets.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Mine is a 2002, it doesn't leak oil at all either. Burns a little, though. I've run it slightly overfilled. It's not that big a deal.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Drive it, that is not high enough to cause an issue. Over the orange becomes a problem.

Mine used to leak and used to burn some, but no leaks and half as much consumption since the upper half rebuild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts