Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
slight hesitation(update)

Ok, I've got a slight hesitation when driving, I have changed the MAF sensor, air filter, plugs and the car drives so much better, it really picks up but the hesitation is still there!I have been to the dealer but the codes seem to have nothing to do with the problem that I am having.

98 vw Passat 1.8 20v turbo automtic

I had the TB changed this year, all belts,oil etc. After changing the MAF,plugs,air filter (again) it seems that the dealer had fitted the TB incorrectly. My car has only ever been to the main dealer and even they have got it wrong, just thought I would let you all know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the Plug leads

Hi There,

I have had major problems with my B5 along the same lines,

I changed the sparks and plugs (to volkswagen spec) & ignition transformer too and the problem has since gone,

PS - Check the Ignition Transformer, if you are experiencing issues such as the digital dashboard going offline and the car chugging afterwards as according to my Garage that was another cause of my car's problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
1.8T Hesitation

.....let me add my 2 Cents worth based on the last 4 (FRUSTRATING) weeks.

Got a B5.5 1.8T Manual Tranny Upsolute Chip, 57mm Freeflow.
Car was "hesitating" at part (sometimes WOT) throttle, mainly between 2,000 & 3,000 RPM, felt like a misfire (VAG-Com showed none), which could now also be heard due to the addition of the freeflow exhaust.

I specifically bought VAG-Com to try sort this out....Showed the MAF to be faulty, changed the MAF and it actually made things worse!
The VAG-Com also showed faulty Coolant Temp Sensor (the one located near the firewall, on top of motor). Changing this made quite an improvement!

However, still the problem persisted. VAG-Com showed all clear, Logs showed timing and boost ok, i.e. no timing pull....

Cleaned and re-aligned Throttle body = Much better, but not completely sorted.
THEN....replaced fuel filter....PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE GONE! (Holding thumbs).
Even though the filters are rated at over 60,000 km, I think it best to replace every 15,000km...the fuel which came out the Intake side was blackkkk!

Hope this may assist some people.

PS, cause of failed MAF (In my opinion anyway)? The fitment of a washable free flow air filter which could cause the MAF to get oil contamination...after removal, made no difference vs the stock paper element whatsoever, perhaps even an improvement!

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a good idea did you change the fuel filter yourself? if so was it easy?or would you let the main dealer do it?

goldenbrown

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Did a fuel filter change today, took about 45mins(Will take less than 15min next time), easy! Didn't even jack the car up! Four 10mm bolts and a pair of wire cutters. Will see how the car drives over the next couple of days and let you now if the stutter has gone.

goldenbrown

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
i recently had this problem too. i had my spark plugs changed but didnt help. Then a coil pack blew and had it replaced now the car runs much better. I also plan on changing the fuel filter tomorrow. I say check your coilpacks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts