Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, the project just got delayed 6 weeks.....have to wait on custom pistons now!

my project in case you forgot: check the 2 links
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88470&highlight=
http://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/212993.phtml

now that i have stripped the block, i have found that the bores are EGG SHAPED, for a total out-of-round of .0035"!!!

so, new pistons fit for an 81.5mm bore (stock is 81mm, and .5 mm is .020" over)...i also took this chance to drop the compression from 9.3:1 to 8.75:1. nice, new forged pistons show up in a month :(

then the connecting rods...aparently, the con rod hardware is of the ONE TIME USE variety....no problem, but there is a bolt, AND a nut, with the bolt PRESSED into the rod...if i press in new bolts, the rod big end needs to be re-sized because it would warp slightly under all that pressure...

ARP hardware + resizing = $350
complete set of NEW PAUTER rods with ARP 2000 hardware = $950

so i got the PAUTER rods :p along with a set of ARP studs for the head, 5-layer steel head gasket, and a complete engine/head gasket set (compiled myself...not off the shelf)

speaking about the head, it is getting ported/polished right now, with new valve guides, and a 5-angle valve job...as well as an exhaust cam with 2mm more lift to help out with off-boost conditions (7A cam for thoes who know)

now i get to wait the rest of the month and a half, saving $ and donating it to my engine machinist :p

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sharky said:
Too bad you aren't back at Pep Boys changing tires, huh? :wink:
yeah...im going to have a lil problem when i need to install the forged BBS wheels on my car.... :p

twice the pay

half the physical labor...

no working on weekends...

keys to a shop to use during non buisness hours...

yeah...i guess its a little better.... :)

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Dang, sounds like a serious motor build!
How do the tappets look? I assume they'll be ok with the new cam grind but can't hurt to ask. :)

Are you going to use the ARP lube? ( 100-9903 )? I just got some from Summit Racing yesterday; it requires less torque to get the same clamping force than using conventional 30wt. oil . check out their tech page for more info.

I may consider redoing my main journals with their lube. (7/16" studs go from 85 ft-lbs. to 70 ft-lbs.!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.