Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Skid plate Part# question, and Canadian supplier

856 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jjpark 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. New to the forum and couldn't be happier with all the great info here!
Long story short, pretty sure at my last oil change, the guys didn't put all the screws back in the skid plate, and a couple days later I ended up dragging it down the highway! Dealer wants over $300 for a new one and quoted me 8D0863821S as the part number for my 2005 4motion wagon 1.8T. Found one on amazon.ca but with this part number 8D0863821Q for $75. Anyone know what the difference is with the S and Q at the end? Also if anyone has any other recommendation for where to get one (and hardware) in Canada, that would be awesome. Everything I have found is in the States, and either doesn't ship here, or charges more for shipping than the dealer cost.
Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers!

#2 ·
I think you may have your pricing reversed. The "Q" should be the more expensive model because it has insulation or sound deadening added. Anyway, there are a couple aftermarket models for this that are thinner, but people say they work just fine. The hardware pack is separate and not cheap. Best thing to do is go hunting in pick a part car yards and find one for a few bucks.

#5 · (Edited)
I have not replaced mine and most likely never will.

1 cost

2 I don't know if it makes that much of a difference in deadening road noise. Never drove one with it intact

3 It tends to hide leaks

4 easily torn up

5 has to be removed anytime you need to get to something under it

I'm sure it keeps the engine bay a bit cleaner and quieter but not enough for me to replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.