Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a sirius sportster on Black Friday and I'm trying to think of places to mount it. Being a stickler for integration, window/mount mount wasn't even considered.

My current plan is to dremel out the emergency sunroof access panel and mount it flush up there. I think there's enough space. I figure I need about 3-4 inches deep. Does anyone know off hand how much space is up there? Perhaps the part # of that little panel so I can get an extra? Or any experience with mounting anything up there?

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
How will you read the display unit if it is flush mounted or were you planning on adding a hinge so that you can tuck it away when it's not in use?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I picked up a sirius sportster on Black Friday and I'm trying to think of places to mount it. Being a stickler for integration, window/mount mount wasn't even considered.

My current plan is to dremel out the emergency sunroof access panel and mount it flush up there. I think there's enough space. I figure I need about 3-4 inches deep. Does anyone know off hand how much space is up there? Perhaps the part # of that little panel so I can get an extra? Or any experience with mounting anything up there?

Thanks
I swear someone's done that, check the audio forum.
FWIW, if you have a sedan, you can velcro the antenna by you brake light. No crap on your hood/roof that way.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How will you read the display unit if it is flush mounted or were you planning on adding a hinge so that you can tuck it away when it's not in use?
No hinge. I could just look up if I wanted to read it. I'm not really concerned with that. The unit came with a remote for easy channel changing. I only got it for Stern and the dance music channels.

I swear someone's done that, check the audio forum.
FWIW, if you have a sedan, you can velcro the antenna by you brake light. No crap on your hood/roof that way.
I was going to stick it on the dash by the windshield. It came with a black low profile antenna so it won't stick out that much.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
No hinge. I could just look up if I wanted to read it. I'm not really concerned with that. The unit came with a remote for easy channel changing. I only got it for Stern and the dance music channels.

I was going to stick it on the dash by the windshield. It came with a black low profile antenna so it won't stick out that much.
What are you gonna stick it down with?
I'd rather go the non-adhesive on car method.
BTW, you'll love sirius. Seriously, i don't know how I lived without it. I have a jerry-rigged (i have an extra antenna) in my rental cars as well :p

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you gonna stick it down with?
I'd rather go the non-adhesive on car method.
BTW, you'll love sirius. Seriously, i don't know how I lived without it. I have a jerry-rigged (i have an extra antenna) in my rental cars as well :p
Probably a small piece of double sided tape. It just seems easier to route it to the front rather than all the way to the rear.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
There we go!
Marshalus, did you every hardwire your starmate? or still running the extention cord form the trunk?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Found it?
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1247365&postcount=7

Pretty much exactly like I want mine only his radio is a little smaller.
Yeah, the R32 install looks better, but the one in the Passat would be much much much easier.

I have a Starmate, I wonder how much that fabric panel would be? I'd like to buy one to test it on, rather then go tear up the one I already have :thumbdown

PS: This is how I originally mounted mine:

I've since undone it and it just sits in the cup holder now. It was too hard to see down there.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
There we go!
Marshalus, did you every hardwire your starmate? or still running the extention cord form the trunk?
No power hardwiring yet :( I keep thinking I'll do it "this weekend" and find other things to do. Maybe I'll do it this weekend.

I did hardwire the sound though, used a Blitzsafe Adapter to tie into the CD changer outlet in the trunk. Sound quality was much improved over the tape adapter and/or FM signal.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yeah, the R32 install looks better, but the one in the Passat would be much much much easier.

I have a Starmate, I wonder how much that fabric panel would be? I'd like to buy one to test it on, rather then go tear up the one I already have :thumbdown

PS: This is how I originally mounted mine:

I've since undone it and it just sits in the cup holder now. It was too hard to see down there.
Why not just you the suction mount for now.
I literally have no issues with mine.
I'd love to hook up over the sunroof motor though
FWIW, it looks liek the motor cover is $50, damn!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Why not just you the suction mount for now.
I literally have no issues with mine.
I'd love to hook up over the sunroof motor though
FWIW, it looks liek the motor cover is $50, damn!
Ick.

I kinda cut up the suction mount when I was trying some other ideas :rolleyes: Oh well, it didn't work that well to start with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts