Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm a total newbie at this. I have a 2002 Passat GLX with a single din Monsoon HU. Can I replace it with a double din Monsoon HU ? Is it just plug and play, or are significant mods required?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I second this question, as I have a 2001.5 (new Style GlLX) and it came with only a single Din Monsoon and I desperately would like to upgrade it to a double Din Monsoon...

Another concern is ... What years are the DD head units compatible with .. ?? Will the 2003 on head units work in my 2001.5 Passat?

Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Paul,

With all due respect, been there and done that.. I have seen some topics that touch on this subject, but none have ever truly gone into any detail as to the specific questions I have alluded to in my prior post.

Further the "Search Function" in this forum seems less than desirable as I have had little luck using it and have found that looking through each and every page is much more productive albeit very cumbersome..

Thanks for the reply though!

Dave

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The search function does act up sometimes. Here's what I've been able to gather. The single DIN units use the same plug but the DD units have a different plug. It may also vary by year. Give it a couple of days and I'm sure someone with more indepth knowledge will chime in.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
SebastianGLX said:
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm a total newbie at this. I have a 2002 Passat GLX with a single din Monsoon HU. Can I replace it with a double din Monsoon HU ? Is it just plug and play, or are significant mods required?
The simple answer is no. The connector on the back of the single DIN and the Double DIN units are different. So, as a minimum, you would have to make an adapter harness or cut your OE harness (which I do not recommend).

Also, the Double DIN unit does not use ignition sense to turn on/off. It uses the CAN bus. You have no way of creating this signal, thus, you will have to turn the unit on/off manually and will one day forget and have a dead battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts