Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if you can put a Double din stock head unit that comes in the 5.5 in my 2000 that has space for a double din(Manual climate control already on the bottom) but only has a single din. I like the look of the double better. I realzine the plugs could be different but do the same general wiring, power, illumination, ground, speaker, antenna, k wire.

Also make it tougher can you use a double din monsoon in a no monsoon single din.

Hope that makes since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm hoping to do the exact same thing Purple is, so if anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to hear it. (Didn't quite understand the last post...what is "can bus"?)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
the communications system the car uses to do all the things it needs to. it also tells the radio when to turn on.
my friend just ran into that problem.
he had double din in his golf and when he put single din the new HU wouldnt turn off when you take the key out.
how to go about fixing it?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the username Ezirl, he has a setup for sale, also metra I believe has directions with all the parts

You lose a couple of features like the turn off with key and dimmer i believe

·
Registered
214 Posts
Will it work with teh 98-99 or the 2000-2001. The older passats have the hvac controls in the middle, but the 2000-2001 have the controls at teh bottom. Can you just relocate the hvac controls?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts