Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the B5 ever came w/ a 16" spare or if a 16" w/ tire will fit in the spare tire well. Thinking about the A8 brake upgrade but want to make sure I can get a spare that fits over the rotor.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Just wondering if the B5 ever came w/ a 16" spare or if a 16" w/ tire will fit in the spare tire well. Thinking about the A8 brake upgrade but want to make sure I can get a spare that fits over the rotor.
I'll have to check, but I'm 99% sure i have a 16in spare.
A 16in will fit there as the total wheel diameter is unchanged

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My GLX had a full size 16" spare on a steelie.
The lucky stiff that bought my old GLX got a 17" spare on a RS4 replica - it fit the well too, obviously.
W8s get a donut...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect!! Now I just have to find a 16" wheel/tire from a VW that'll fit and I can go get my A8 brakes....:D ....Just have to get new rims..

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My GLX had a full size 16" spare on a steelie.
The lucky stiff that bought my old GLX got a 17" spare on a RS4 replica - it fit the well too, obviously.
W8s get a donut...
not sure about 16's but i know my 17's(17x8.5 wheels 235/45ZR17 tires) do not fit in my spare tire well:confused:

would be nice if it did though, then i wouldnt need to spend $$ on a spare for the winter time

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear that...Now I just have to find out if 18's will work on the car. Read they might cause a bit of a Control Arm issue, not sure if it's worth the hassle...

·
Registered
776 Posts
You don't necessarily need a new spare, but if a front tire goes out, you would have to put the spare on the rear and rotate the rear wheel up front. More work but what are the chances you get a flat with your front tires.
If you're Insurance has road side assistance, just have the tow truck guy do it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the thought. It had crossed my mind to do the spare-tire shuffle to get around the issue of a flat front tire, just was hoping there was a way to avoid it if possible. Nothing like getting a flat in the middle of winter; every second outside the car feels like an eternity...Plus I'd rather the widow-maker get used as little as possible...lol...

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Thanks for the thought. It had crossed my mind to do the spare-tire shuffle to get around the issue of a flat front tire, just was hoping there was a way to avoid it if possible. Nothing like getting a flat in the middle of winter; every second outside the car feels like an eternity...Plus I'd rather the widow-maker get used as little as possible...lol...
Eventually, I'm planning on getting one of those cheap light-wieght floor jacks from harbor freight and stick it in the trunk.
Not something I'd wanna use daily, but everything can beat the widowmaker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts