Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the silver dollar coin is still available as regular currency? I'm scheduled to be commissioned in July sometime, it'd be nice to actually have a silver dollar coin to give out when I get that Silver Dollar Salute. Otherwise, I'll just give out the Sacagawea dollar coin.

Andy

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BoeserBlick said:
Is it customary to give out money when commissioned (what does 'commisioned' mean exactly for you anyways?)?
Only for the first salute you get as an officer from an enlisted soldier (or other enlisted personnel). "Commissioned" means I'll be an officer as opposed to an enlisted soldier.

Andy

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
jwil said:
That's cool, but where to get one? The site says they're sold out...

Auction link is good, too. Thanks.

Andy
I picked up a Liberty Silver Proof about 10 years ago from a local coin shop. The mint usually sells off all of their production to coin shops and collectors, and the mint is out of the 2003 coins since the '04's should be available soon.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Aaaahh... I see. Who gets to be the lucky person to salute you first? I'd imagine that guy is probably gonna be walking off with a bag of those coins. (Don't you get saluted as soon as they do the ceremony?)

BTW, I always assumed you were already an officer since you're a college grad (and then some)....

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jwil said:
I picked up a Liberty Silver Proof about 10 years ago from a local coin shop. The mint usually sells off all of their production to coin shops and collectors. The mint is out of 2003 coins as the '04's should be ready soon.
Ah, so. I'll just have to keep an eye out for that, then.

BoeserBlick said:
Aaaahh... I see. Who gets to be the lucky person to salute you first? I'd imagine that guy is probably gonna be walking off with a bag of those coins. (Don't you get saluted as soon as they do the ceremony?)
It depends. I've seen ROTC commissioning ceremonies where the senior NCO of the ROTC unit does it in a mini-ceremony after the main ceremony was over. I've also heard of smaller commissioning ceremonies where there were no enlisted personnel present, so the Silver Dollar Salute was rendered somewhat later. One of the funnier stories I heard was an Air Force officer who got his Silver Dollar Salute when entering a base -- the MP covering the gate saluted him. So when the officer gave the MP the silver dollar, the MP got confused and said something like, "There's no toll, sir." :lol:

BoeserBlick said:
BTW, I always assumed you were already an officer since you're a college grad (and then some)....
Guard has some weird rules concerning direct commissions. At the time I signed on, regs said that doctors, nurses, lawyers and prior officers only could get direct commissions as officers. I'm in the first class of soldiers allowed to go through Pre-Commissioning Course (which is essentially a shortened version of OCS), since I have the educational and professional experience, combined with some prior military experience. That's why I was wearing OCS insignia last weekend.

Andy

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
One of the funnier stories I heard was an Air Force officer who got his Silver Dollar Salute when entering a base -- the MP covering the gate saluted him. So when the officer gave the MP the silver dollar, the MP got confused and said something like, "There's no toll, sir."
That's a pretty funny story. I attended a few of the ROTC commissionings for friends, and they had enlisted personnel there and it was like its own ceremony - parents stood by and took pictures as their new Ensigns received salutes and gave out the coins. I'm not sure if I like that as much as I do the random salutes like in the link jwil posted.

And in parting, I say congratulations. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gig103 said:
And in parting, I say congratulations. :thumbup:
Thanks. :)

Speaking of ROTC ceremonies, the one salute I've given that's most memorable to me was the one I gave to a friend who had just gotten commissioned. I was a Midshipman at the time (so I didn't receive a Silver Dollar from him, even though it was literally the first salute he had received as a new Ensign), and we both had the biggest grins on our faces when I snapped it and said, "Congratulations, sir."

Andy

·
Registered
412 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
Anyone know if the silver dollar coin is still available as regular currency? I'm scheduled to be commissioned in July sometime, it'd be nice to actually have a silver dollar coin to give out when I get that Silver Dollar Salute. Otherwise, I'll just give out the Sacagawea dollar coin.

Andy
When's boot camp for you, Andy?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
AJChenMPH said:

Andy

how many do you need? I may (I say may) be able to find them for you

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
andy,
since you want to make this special, I'd suggest finding a coin shop that can sell you a dollar coin in a plastic case (either a hard case or a soft one) that you can give away. I'd expect most coin shops to have dollar coins in various values, from $20 up to several thousand. I personally like the older walking Liberty ones like the proof coin posted above.

Both Sacagawea and Susan b Anthony dollar coins can be found in circulation, so just go to any bank teller to get one of those. I don't think either of them has significant amounts of silver though....
best of luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Andy, how many do you need??? I still always get them as change either at the MTA vending machines or the LIRR vending machines. I can just hold on to them when I get them and pass them to you when I see you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
TDIBUGMAN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing