Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much sums it all up. I'm off my summers, 225/40 R18 Toyos on 18x8.5 Wheels (actually sold them now) and am running my Winter set up which are 205/55 R16 Dunlop Wintersport M2's on Borbet rims and the difference is night and day... Granted, the M2's are AWESOME tires, but you really just can't beat having low profile tires. Don't have baller status to run 18" winters in the snow either...

But car feels like it has some squat and dive now and it def has more roll. All because of the 16's.

Just ranting because I was totally missing them today and can't wait to get some new shoes next spring. May it be on a new car or for the passat!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
yeah i feel ya. I just sold my 17" monte carlos and am rocking the 15" hub caps for the winter! Plus, i raised up my coilovers so it is just a super boring car now... i cant wait for spring, so i can buy some sick BBS wheels

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I have good 16in summer tires. I feel the same differences, its more an actual tire thing than diameter.
Also, my winter setup is ~5lbs heavier per wheel (OEM wheels v. BBS VZs is ~3lbs and the snows are ~2lbs heavier than my summers). That sucks too.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you really want some fun, put summer tires in the snow. Preferably on RWD car, turn off traction and fun is guaranteed;) One time I took Merc C240 to the mountains on summer Pilots. Feels cool to loosen rear to the point of oposite lock at 5mph;) One problem was that car had to be pushed up any up grade:)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it's petty, but damn I miss the look too. You know that feeling that you get when you KNOW someone is looking at your car going, damn, what the hell is that!

Now? I feel less "cool" passing someone on the highway. Pathetic? yep. Do I care? I guess I do if it bothers me a little! :D Insecure? yep! only because I don't feel as secure driving down the road as I did before. Car just isn't as responsive to my input and after an idiot decided to panic stop, I SWEAR my brake time was decreased a little EVEN with lighter wheels. So 18's aren't just for looks folks!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just twist the knife already!!!! :D I was contemplated 19's and a lower setup, but with Chicago already eating an 18 for breakfast, and slowly nibbling away at my front end, I think I'll just put the nice kicks away for the summer.

harsh GA winter... pfff... what does it get, like low of 80?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm trying something different. Instead of putting 15" snows on again - which were worn out anyway, I put toyo proxes 4 on my 18's and I'm going to drive them until they wear out. The toyo's are quieter than either the M2's or the summer tires were and frankly winter driving around here is mostly wet and slush. When the snow is deep I really don't drive much or I take the pickup.

The theory behind winter tires of course is softer compound with blocks for more overall grip and a narrower profile to "plow" better. The problem everyone overlooks is that stopping and cornering are both more critical and more difficult in winter, and are problems regardless of how much snow fell last night. In many conditions, particularly most kinds of ice, a wider tire with *some* grip will always stop better. Don't believe everything you read, just go to the steepest residential hill the next time you get slushy snow, stand at the bottom, and tell me which vehicles handle the best coming down the hill. It won't be the Honda civic with its 4" wide tread, it will be a heavier vehicle with an all-season or snow tire.

So far we've only had one bad road day. 4" of snow on top of a freezing road surface. The Toyo's got me home no problem and handled the pavement-to snow-to ice transitions just fine. I stopped a few times in the deepest drifts I could find just to make sure they could get going on an ice+snow surface - I think the weight of a Passat helps out here.

I'll let everyone know how my experiment is going as the winter progresses.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
^^ it is not just the rubber compound that is different in Snow tires, it is the tread pattern. Not all snow tires have good *wet* traction - that should explain.

You are in WI, hope you do well with those Toyos. I am getting Dunlop M3s even though I am so far south. The wife drives the car and I would do whatever I can to help her in bad situations. Of course, she will have to live with the H&R Sport Springs year around.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well yesterday was a good test - southern Wis had between 2 and 16 inches of snow depending on where you were - and I was driving all over it.

There is no question that the Toyo's have more trouble getting the car going than the M3's did - traction control was on right away from every stop even if I soft pedaled the foot. But I was never in danger of just sitting and spinning. I think stopping distance may be a bit better with the wider tires and is certainly no worse. This was a particularly slippery snow because the ground temperature was quite cold before the snow, it came down during rush hour so traffic was packing the snow instantly, and it could not melt. So it mixed with the available salt and became grease for the first hour. On one county road with no traffic I just slammed the brakes at 50 mph and ABS + wide tires kept me perfectly straight while I slid and plowed to a stop. However, in a big parking lot I gunned it and tried to turn and the wide tires just sort of skated - though they did slow the car quickly.

So at this point my conclusion is that an M3 would probably have been better getting started from stops and definitely better in deep parking lot snow. But I appear to have just as much control in the slowing and panic stopping situations. I was never in danger of getting stuck, but then I'm good at avoiding those situations anyway having lowered the car 3 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Running 15 inch stock all season

I have 225-45-17's with dunlop sport maxx that I run in the summer, but I am currently running my 15 inch stock wheels.....very boring, however I am currently having bilstein sport struts and shocks put on, along with H&R coils that will lower it 1.0 inch front and rear.......does anyone have a similar set up and do you like it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts