Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently bought a 2002 B5.5 Passat 2.8 4Motion. I think it's JDM spec., but I'm not sure. I'll post a thread so you can all help me identify my car some time in the near future.

Anyway, I've got an issue with my side mirror. It's my driver's side mirror, but that'd be the passenger's mirror for all you LHD people.

I'm pretty sure things were all solid on my first couple of drives of the car, but I can't be 100% sure. But when I had a spare half-hour, I had a play with all the buttons and knobs. I retracted the mirrors in, and then folded them out...

The right-hand mirror was a bit sluggish, and when it folded out the glass needed adjusting. Hmmmm. Then when I was driving, it was wobbly and shaking. I put my hand out the window, and there is no resistance stopping me from folding the mirror in from the out position, and then back out again.

I'm surprised it can stay folded out when travelling, as you would think the wind would push it back in.

Folding the mirrors in and out works OK, but the right is a little slower than the left and seems to make an extra click or two.

Any thoughts on the problem? The shaking is a bit distracting when driving along, and makes it difficult to see out of.

I took a look at this thread (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277270) and was wondering if this fix might fix my issue too?

Any help would be appreciated.

I hope to post a thread of my car with pics etc. over the next few days.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I might be OK - for the time being...

I had a look at my mirror on Saturday morning. I bent it outwards with my hand so it was at about 90° to its normal position.

Then I folded the mirrors in, with the switch/dial. The mirror protested as per normal, but folded in.

Then I folded them out again by rotating the knob, but the didn't move at all...

I started the engine, then turned the knob again. The mirrors folded out. I had to adjust the glass on the subject mirror again.

I went for a drive, and the mirror is all stable again - back to the way it was when I bought the car. It's still floppy if I move it with my hand, but at least it's not all shaky when I'm driving anymore.

I'm not going to touch it for a while - either manually or with the knob - and hopefully it lasts before it's an issue again.

If it starts to get all shaky again, I'll look at removing the glass and cover to take a look inside.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts